1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone burn honeysuckle

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by schlot, Apr 11, 2013.

1. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    I know honey suckle is more of a bush/shrub, but the grove where I'm taking the ash and mulberry out of is VERY established honeysuckle.

While getting to the ash, I had to remove a bunch of them. Some of the diameter of the shrubs are up to 6" and I noticed it was a hard wood as I cut it.

Talking to the local forester he said it approaches hickory in hardness and btu value.

Anyone have any experience in burning it? I didn't see any btu ratings for it when I did a quick google search. Also, it smelled nice as I cut it, but not sure how it smells as it burns.

Here is some of what I did bring back.

honey suckle.jpg
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hickorynut

Hickorynut Burning Hunk

Loc:
    western ky.
    Looks like locust, which is very good firewood. By the way, I have a new echo saw (cs-600p) that I am really liking so far.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have burned a small amount a few years back. It burned with characteristics of locust. Good stuff.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    That's interesting. I've got a ton of it. Some as big as 8-10" thick. I'll have to give it a try.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If it is big enough to be worth processing, turn it into firewood. 'Tis good stuff.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Probably has a nice fragrance burning... the flowers are full of nectar.
  7. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Great news. May have to look harder at getting more of it.
  8. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Great. I'm really enjoying mine too.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Looks alot like the lilac I cut a couple years back. That stuff burns like locust, I'll be getting into that stuff next burning season. The lilac shrubs I cut were more like trees, around 12-14" diameter at the base and I counted over 80 rings in them!
    chvymn99 likes this.
  10. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Now that's a lillac!
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    80 years ago? Did your grandmother plant it?
    I think all shrubs have the same genetics for staying small diameter. Same as dwarf fruit trees. Like ironwood. You almost have to use a magnifying glass to see the growth rings.
    Morrows honeysuckle is on the invasive species list so cut all you can. I wrap a chain around the base of the shrub and pull it out with a tractor. Roots and all.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

they were planted eons ago, I'm sure, by somebody's grandmother. We removed them at one of the tree jobs we did a few years back. I've never seen lilacs that big. They were probably almost 20' high!
  13. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    It burns pretty well. I have a 2" x 2' piece kicking around the back yard (dog likes to carry it around) for 2 years now and it hasn't rotted yet. It is pretty tough stuff.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I look for big patch's of honeysuckle when its very cold out and hunting deer. It's 10 degrees warmer under there and no wind.
    schlot likes this.
  15. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have a honeysuckle beside the driveway that my great grandfather planted for my grandmother.
    The bark is stringy and I've watched squirrels pull 4 to 6 foot strings off and drag them off into the woods.
    Applesister likes this.
  16. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Stringy bark is an accurate description for sure. Here is my haul. Most of the truck bed is full of ash but I did bring back a nice chunk of honeysuckle too.

20130411_170917.jpg