Anyone burn pallets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennman

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2009
Southern Tenn
We get quite a few pallets accumulate at our shop and they are a nusance to dispose of. I'm installing a Biomass gasser so are nails in the wood a bad thing for the ceramics?

Tennman said:
We get quite a few pallets accumulate at our shop and they are a nusance to dispose of. I'm installing a Biomass gasser so are nails in the wood a bad thing for the ceramics?

I DO NOT know anything about these boilers, but - can you use one of those "magnet brooms" to clear out your ash pan of nails/staples?

I burn lots of pallet wood in my gassifier and see no difference except a few nails in the ash .

thanks guys. First fire in the next few weeks!

I burned a few pallets in the EKO last year and never even found a nail in the ash ! Just one thing I found too much in a load would make it chug - too much smoke to burn and when it did it pushed the damper open so don't load it up too much. Pallets work great for getting fires started or restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.