Anyone burning alot of Cedar wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumme

Dec 14, 2008
arkansas
My neighbor who is a farmer, has hundreds of old cedar posts, about 8 ft tall. Ive been burning :

ash

oak

cedar posts { untreated}

all of this wood is properly aged, and IMHO, I think the cedar burns the best. It gives a long burn time and it gets reduced to very fine and small amounts of ash.

rumme said:
My neighbor who is a farmer, has hundreds of old cedar posts, about 8 ft tall. Ive been burning :

ash

oak

cedar posts { untreated}

all of this wood is properly aged, and IMHO, I think the cedar burns the best. It gives a long burn time and it gets reduced to very fine and small amounts of ash.

Maybe your cedar is different than the white cedar up this way . . . here cedar lights up quick, but it burns up wicked fast and leaves few coals to re-ignite the next load of wood . . . great for kindling (and I have a whole bunch of cedar just for that purpose) or as part of a starter fire (if you want to get the fire going and burning hot and fast) or Spring/Fall fire (quick/hot fire) . . . but it is not something I would look to burn exclusively.

That said . . . sounds like you've got a good stock of cedar to burn . . . and free is always good.

Last year I burned several cords of western red cedar cordwood. We have these trees up here in the NW in the lower elevations. They are pretty oily and resistant to bugs/rot. People chop up the red cedar into roof shingles for even modern homes.

I found it to be a good burning wood in my non-cat. Only a little less desirable than douglas fir but better than the cottonwood that I'm burning now.

I have allot of standing eastern red cedar that is almost dead. Over crowded. Some trees are 18-20 inches at the trunk and over 50 feet tall. I need to cut them down and was thinking I could burn them in a year or so after they are split and dried. I hear it snap,crackles and pops though.

Watch out for the sparks!!! Cedar burns hot, good to start with, in Wisconsin we use HARDWOOD! :p Cedar is good in spring and fall.

Yes. Snap crackle pop and it smells freaking fantastic. The wood that is. The smoke smells like smoke.

I burn lots of old cedar. Ripped out a ~30-yr old cedar deck last year, cut the old weathered decking into 17" lengths with a chop saw, and I think I must have ~1/3 cord of it. Lots of times, I'll split it into kindling (works great!), other times I'll just toss a piece or three in on a coal bed. It's fuel, it burns, it yields heat, I'll burn it all. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.