Anyone burning Michigan wood pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

letsblaze

Feeling the Heat
All the big box stores around except TSC are selling these. Last year the were terrible and ash fillers. This years Propellets ain't terrible but seem to be ashy and making clinkers everyday in my burnpot. But for 175 a ton I might have to deal with it. :(

I gutted thru a ton of the Michigans a couple years ago....never again. I know pellets change year by year (and to be fair, I havent burned Michigans in a couple years), but man, Ive never seen more ash in a premium pellet than those Michigans.....I think I'd burn Infernals first! !!!

All the big box stores around except TSC are selling these. Last year the were terrible and ash fillers. This years Propellets ain't terrible but seem to be ashy and making clinkers everyday in my burnpot. But for 175 a ton I might have to deal with it. :(

Michigan brand pellets would be my last choice. Yes, the ProPellets are OK for the price this year.

Unfortunately I am still burning them. I bought 1.5 tons last year and have maybe a half ton left. High ash content, dirty glass and low heat. I get a burn pot full of rabbit turd size clinkers after three or four bags. Unfortunately those are all you can find at the box stores on the west side of the state, unless you're lucky enough to find a store that has other brands.

Are they better than oil? Yep. For a few bucks more a tone (at my local dealer anyways) I can get Pro Pellet/Magic Spark which are better than the Michigan pellets.

They did change their bag this year, but I haven't broke down and bought a bag to see if they burn any better.

On one hand I'm hoping for cold weather to settle in so I can start to attack something other than the Michigan pellets, but on the other hand I'm liking the warm weather so I can get rid of the darn things.

I tried a couple bags once and only once.Would go back to oil if that was all i could get!!

Status
Not open for further replies.