Anyone clean out their outside exhaust vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
outside their home yet ? Wondering if i'm the only guy with so much caked on soot so early in the burn season Muss

I cleaned mine out from last season muss....but havent since burning this season. I'll check it come Dec. or Jan. though to make sure. Not sure why you have so much caked on so early.

I hope it's not cause of the pellets :down: Muss

I just did Saturday! I was just checking the siding and decided to go take a look, banged lightly on the cover and man I was surprised what started coming out. Reached my hand in and there was a think layer in there so I pulled out the hot ash vac and the attachments and went to work. Took about 10 minutes, but I was very surprised on the amount of ash in there already.

I have been burning mostly LG's a few bags of Natures heat and a few bags of FireSide

How much are you talking when you say "so much"?

Usually pull the cap on the T after a couple tons
but there's never more than a measured cup full
in the bottom of the T at that point.
I run the brush up the vent at the end of the season.

it was hard to tell for me a lot got kissed to the wind, there wasn't much left in the vac at the end though

zeta do you run the brush from the outside then go and clean the stove from inside? i figured some ash must get pushed back in? first year with the stove so not sure in what order things are done.

Kast, I don't have a horizontal install..
my vent goes from the stove into a
Cleanout T, then all the way up the chimney
topped with a rain cap. (see pics and see stove in avatar)

I remove the T cap, vac that out,
then run a nylon 4" brush 12ft up.
I keep the vac running directly below
the T so it catches everything that
comes down. I continue to run the
brush until nothing more falls down.

Attachments

• T_inside.jpg
    T_inside.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 289
  • flex_up.jpg
    flex_up.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 311
  • capped.jpg
    capped.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 276
hi cast and muss mine is in my basement about 5 ' pipe going up basement wall, through foundation with proper amount above grade.i just undo 45 elbow you can hear pellet brush bottom out where it enters stove i just put shop vac hose in and same thing hear it bottom out easy clean no mess in house all outside. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.