ANYONE ELSE GETTING SICK OF WINTER YET?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter has been ridiculous. Yesterday morning it was 17, pretty chilly for around here (Northern NJ) and today it's 60. Last week it was 6, which I would say is very cold for here. I would not be surprised if we don't get another real snow in, and it only snowed once. Usually we get 2-3 decent snows.

Nope, I'm not sick of winter at all. The woodpile is in good shape. I don't look forward to all the yard work and fiddling with keeping the pool clear. I do look forward to the beauty of spring, seeing the flowers start to pop out and everything else exploding to life. I don't look forward to having the bugs back. As soon as the weather starts to be nice, out come the mayflies. Then once the mayflies are gone, and it gets warmer, out come the mosquitos and ticks.

We lived in CA for a few years, and being raised in the north, we got really tired of the mundane nature of the climate. In the north, the seasons and the variety of different lifestyles is refreshing.

Dan

Those of us with terrible allergies would like to completely skip spring. The tree and grass pollen take is toll on me every year.

Ragweed does the same in the fall, but I love fall too much to ever want to skip that season.

-SF

I love all the seasons. I'm not quite ready for Spring/Summer yet....ONLY because I know its to soon to start thinking summer! lol. We have had 96" of snow this season....a typical old fashioned winter for us in southern Maine. :)

No way am I ready because when winter is over it is a short jump to the over Bering hot and humid days of summer.

you guys can keep spring lets stay with winter
i am a seasonal guy whatever season it is bring it... however "real" spring is kinda boring... to much rain!
but! i have had it with all this darmn rain we have been getting this winter!!
remember the old days when a true noreaster would come and ladt for 24-72 hours?? you know.. snow shwrs.. hvy snow ... light snow in the end 15-30 inches not much of a problem the plows can keep up with it
where are those storms they are not here in mass these quick hitters are driving me nuts... i have not had enough time to spend with my honda this year... and the neighbor got a new ariens... lol he thought he could out throw me!! i enjoy kickin his butt at our snow thro contest.... please winter come backkkk!!!!11

No way am I ready because when winter is over it is a short jump to the over Bering hot and humid days of summer.

OOPH, i've heard about the heat/humidity you guys get down there. You need to move a smidge north so it's just obnoxious instead of overbearing. :p

Put me down for one vote of 'officially sick of winter' We usually don't get much snow, but this winter we've been getting dumped with 4-6 inches every couple of weeks. Just had the latest 'blizzard' yesterday - I awoke to find 6" of new snow covering everything. Then by 2pm it was ~50F.

I see most of my buddies in the Midwest are officially tired of winter huh?
One word...Pussies!
Ok, Ok...I am a puss as well.

Saturday here in Iowa it got up to 35 F!
I felt like putting on a Speedo and going swiming it was so warm!
Instead I made it down the street where the Parks Dept. had Hickory and Hard Maple trees ready to cut.
I got three truckloads.
My kids and Girlfriend think I am wood crazy.
Krazy like a fox I say.

Sunday was the day from Hell around here. Rain first...then to sleet...then to Ice...followed up by 8 inches of snow.
Then today the winds kick up to 40 mph.
Love it!

Sick of the rain, ice, cold, & total lack of sun. Yeah, I am sick of it!!
Pretty soon it will be time to bit-h about the heat & humidity. Ena or No?

I just hate the GREY of Winter; I am longing for the deep GREEN of late Spring. As for the snow, its been a joke in CT; not that I really want a lot of snow. It has been cold;not as cold as many Februarys of past, but constantly cold. Today is the exception, it is almost 60 outside. Today, I decided to let the stove burn the coals down; raked to the front and left the draft wide open. The house was in the mid 70's anyway.
I am really enjoying the wood season this year; what with getting rid of the bogus Defiant non-cat and going with the Hearthsone Mansfield. Every time I go down the drive and look up at the stack there is no smoke, just a trace of heat wave and that is so nice. The inside of the house has a nice feel too, warm and welcoming. As a bonus, I think we are burning about 1/2 the wood we did with any of the Vermont Castings stoves: CAT and NON-CAT.
So, I'm not tired of wood heating season or the warmth of the hearth, stove and home. I am very tired of looking out on the valley below and seeing the GREY of the New England winter; I will welcome the coming of the GREEN....
Best to everyone across the USA..whatever happens I hope you enjoy the rest of wood heating season and the awakining of Spring...

Sorry about you guys with no snow.Here in NH, we have had almost 90" of snow. for the last two weeks we have had four storms of snow,sleet, freezing rain and rain, and have seen the sun only two days. The plow never showed up for the first storm and the driveway has three inches of ice. Last year at this time we only had about ten inches of snow on the ground. Winter sucks, but just think, two more months and it will be mud season around here. Will the fun never cease.

Jim

Sorry about you guys with no snow.Here in NH, we have had almost 90" of snow. for the last two weeks we have had four storms of snow,sleet, freezing rain and rain, and have seen the sun only two days. The plow never showed up for the first storm and the driveway has three inches of ice. Last year at this time we only had about ten inches of snow on the ground. Winter sucks, but just think, two more months and it will be mud season around here. Will the fun never cease.

Jim

We really haven't seen much snow in my neck of the woods a few inches here and there, the only good storm we got was around Thanksgiving when my un-split wood mountain range (11+ cords) got covered by about 2 feet of snow and ice. We mainly have been getting cold weather and temp shifts. Yesterday it got up to the high 20's, today the highest its gotten was -6.

I am not ready for Summer but I do like early Spring when it is just starting to get warmer outside, the time when the mosquitoes, deer flies are wasps are still in hiding, the pollen levels are still fairly low, and the robins are starting to appear.

It's 50, raining hard, my driveway/logging road/ bobsled run will be a real mess tonight when the temp drops. But spring is in the air; the asian lady bugs are racing around my windows, the vacuum smells composting bugs and even the now dry wood is wet under the cheap blue tarps. Life in the slow lane, ain't it grand!!

I see many people have those stinking asian beetles, they have been hanging around my house all winter.

Did you ever eat one of those buggers?
I was eating a sandwich and one was inside it and ewwwww nasty. :sick:

Even here in the mild pacific north west,enough is enough!! Since mid-october gray and drizzle,rain and wet snow,and damp,not really much snow though. But grungy,and dreary-God I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the primulas are out and smiling at us,so not much more of it left. Early rhodos will be blooming in about 10 days,and things will start to green-up once again. :) Including me.

Winter? what Winter. Heres is the previous forecst for NJ ...Between 28* low and 48* high from early November to Late march. yuck. Glad I'm not in the snow removal bidness.

More freakin rain last night, then 70 degrees this morning, and even more freakin rain this afternoon. When 98% of the precipitation is not frozen, I don't think you can call it winter. On the possible bright side, April was very cold last year after a warm March. So maybe a good snow is still in the wings.

-25 below not including the wind.
Might get to 0 today. :)
I least I can hope.

colebrookman said:
It's 50, raining hard, my driveway/logging road/ bobsled run will be a real mess tonight when the temp drops. But spring is in the air; the asian lady bugs are racing around my windows, the vacuum smells composting bugs and even the now dry wood is wet under the cheap blue tarps. Life in the slow lane, ain't it grand!!

So you have a bobsled run too! I thought I was the only one that had such a thing when this wonderful above average temperatures turns the would be snow into that wonderful rain that freeze up solid at night when the temps drop.
Oh well, I guess I will have to get the chisled coal ashes,(from my friend who burns coal), and the rock salt to try and tame the 450' icy beast that I call my all weather driveway.
I will take the snow anytime over the rain, freezing rain, sleet, and last but not least, the dreaded clear ice.
Happy bob sleding!

I am not officially tired of winter yet, but am tired of the excessive snow and shovelling. We've had so much snow there is nowhere to shovel the new snow TO. Have to lift it up 3 feet to fling it over the banks lining the driveway. Not keen on the cold either. The low tonight is only 0 F, but will be -3 tomorrow and -9 the next two nights. Oh frabjous day. Quite tired of being cooped up in the house by the cold and snow and ice. Actually my newish snow pants/overalls keep me warm enough when I am outside messing about with wood. However, there is too much snow most of the time to mess with the wood. Never had to shovel my yard before, but have to get to the wood piles. On the plus side, being trapped in the house is making me do some needed organizing of possessions. We moved 5 years ago and aren't completely unpacked yet. ;-) A plus to wood burning is that the part of the driveway where I spread ashes is the only non-icy part.

Tired of winter here. -5 degrees out now with a high of 7. SICK SICK SICK. Hope new 3100steptop will cut down the heating bills next year. :( :(

BotetourtSteve said:
Winter? What winter? I hate to be one of those "I remember back when" types, but winters here in the Appalachians of Western Virginia are practically non-existent anymore. We've had a whopping 1 snow of any consequence (5") all winter; that on the heels of 1 last year and 0 the year before. Temps have averaged mid 50s day and low 30s night, or higher. And yes by gosh, I remember good winters of 6-8 different snowfalls, and extended cold periods the way winter was meant to be. It's just not much fun cutting (or burning) wood when it is 65 outside, and we seem to have more of that kind of weather than good ol' keep your jacket on while you cut weather. If I thought you Yanks could handle a dam- southerner in your backyard (and vice-versa) ;-) , I swear I would move up north (I've always liked New England, especially Maine) just to experience "real" winters again.

Dear Steve:
Believe me, Maine is a miserable place to be. No, no, no, do not come. The old saying of "..11 months of winter, and 1 month of damn poor sledding.." is true. Stay where you are in the Banana Belt ( anywhere south of the Piscataqua River). In March the suicides begin. April is mud time: nothing goes on Maine roads, or sinks forever out of sight. In May the scourge of Black Flies hatches; good only if you're fly fishing, or a member of the Save the Black Fly Association. In June the mozzies begin to harass bodies including moose. Then winter.
Please, don't migrate. It is a miserable place to live- the cold, oh the bone-chilling cold.
And, now in February we run out of wood to heat our hovels. The inhabitants have few teeth, the women moustaches, most are old before their time. Stay in Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.