1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone else have a ridiculous electric bill?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Firenutz, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Not having this as an option, let me say..... A thermostat requires the stove to cycle on and off. It would maintain a constant burn if not automatic. The ignitor and high/low run of the stove uses more electricity. How much, I don't know, but the ignitor alone is a large current draw.

Just my thoughts.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Bingo BJN!! My argument all along ... I am not against windpower.....but let US benefit. I know people in Aroostook County and they have not seen the results they were promised.

3. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    My light bill is barely noticeable with stove running...... and I run it 24/7
  4. cac4

cac4 New Member

Loc:
    Essex County, MA
    well...depends on the stove. With the Harman "room temp" mode, the stove adjusts itself to match the heat load on the house; it doesn't cycle on and off. except in the "shoulder seasons", when the demand is too low for the stove to match. You can switch it to manual mode, where it'll just run as slow as it possibly can, without shutting down. but that will give off more heat than you need, so you'd be wasting pellets, instead of electricity. It would be really hard to determine which costs more (running the ignitor vs. pellets wasted in "maintenance burn".)
  5. kbrown

kbrown Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE, Michigan
    Just wondering what type of solar panel you installed and what the ROI is on something like that.
  6. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Also, can you tell us how you tied it into your home system? How much did that cost?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.