Anyone else notice their stove walking over time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookspacken

Nov 8, 2006
Troy, NY
I have noticed my stove has walked about 1/2" since i installed it in fall. I am sure I am not the only one noticing this. Anyone have any ideas other than resetting the stove every couple months?

When my Mansfield was empty it used to head out to the wood pile for a fresh load (being an eger yoiung stove) but it never wiped it's feet and would leave the back door open so I told it to stay put and let me bring the wood in from now on.

Yes, I've seen this happen with some stoves, particularly lighter ones. It gets real scary when one sees some temporary installations that have the stove legs set on a single width of brick.

Spike's Summit does that all the time. It walks the dog, walks to the mail box, walks to the wood pile, get's a load of wood (for the season) and will even do windows in the spring when it's not busy heating the midwest. Spike likes to think his stove is the smartest out there but the secret is that his WHR summit doesn't think to get back EXACTLY where it was the previous time. Frequently conversations go like this: Roo: Uhhh Hey Spike... Wasn't that stove over ... well er, nevermind. Spike: you feeling o.k. Roo? The summit is exactly where it was yesterday. (WHR - snickers to itself after it gulps another split and moves to it's assigned place when Roo turned her head)

For Gods sakes man, DON'T BURN DRUNK!!! Or at least get some better hooch!!! Just had to add that.

When it's not eating wood or cooking my dinner after I retire for the night, I suspect my monolithic heater does something between a tap-dance and a jig as judged by the noises I hear coming from the living space where I secured it to the earth. I am sure it would leave the place in my absence but its pure hulk won't allow it out the door, except if it tripped and fell over, it surely would get out taking most of the house with it.

Most of the time it just sits there looking purdy, occasionally belching (but maybe that alternate gassy sound from the other end) out a little smoke if it detects too much moisture in its diet, with its radiant smile which warms me and mine like no other can.

Aye,
Marty

hookspacken said:
I have noticed my stove has walked about 1/2" since i installed it in fall. I am sure I am not the only one noticing this. Anyone have any ideas other than resetting the stove every couple months?

Is this the hot and cold poster?

Warren said:
Spike's Summit does that all the time. It walks the dog, walks to the mail box, walks to the wood pile, get's a load of wood (for the season) and will even do windows in the spring when it's not busy heating the midwest. Spike likes to think his stove is the smartest out there but the secret is that his WHR summit doesn't think to get back EXACTLY where it was the previous time. Frequently conversations go like this: Roo: Uhhh Hey Spike... Wasn't that stove over ... well er, nevermind. Spike: you feeling o.k. Roo? The summit is exactly where it was yesterday. (WHR - snickers to itself after it gulps another split and moves to it's assigned place when Roo turned her head)

********** :lol: ************

My VCDW insert has a tendency to creep outta the old fireplace, I believe my SS flex pipe may have been trimmed just a hair too short and when it cools off contracts just enough that the stove rocks front to back and works it's way out when I'm loading it and closing the door..

T

My Vigilant would move on its own. I noticed one day looking at it in relation to the floor tiles. It seems I mved it about twice a year. It would move to the side not front to back.

I scolded it and put it back in place.

I was looking at my stove today and noticed it looked crooked. I know when I placed it 2 years ago it looked square. It is placed on a brick hearth & I can see where the legs have scraped them. Scarey... and it's a Vermont Castings!

-Mike

Warren said:

LOL!!!

Seriously, I'm the least expert here but maybe the stove moves because it's light and it's due to expansion and contraction of the iron during the periods when it gets hot or cold?

I hope my (future) insert wouldn't be moving around though...

With this cold snap mine has been running 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.