Anyone else running High/Low yet? Night temp was 22°F. BRRRRR!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jay....Stopped by a Dodge's Agway in Hampton to get a grain scoop and saw that they carried Cubex's. Bought a bag to try this weekend. The kid behind the counter told me that they were THE best in the world. They are pricy....$330 a ton! They have Oakies at $250 a ton.

Chandler

CWR said:
Hey Jay....Stopped by a Dodge's Agway in Hampton to get a grain scoop and saw that they carried Cubex's. Bought a bag to try this weekend. The kid behind the counter told me that they were THE best in the world. They are pricy....$330 a ton! They have Oakies at $250 a ton.

Chandler
Chandler

Best in the world might be a stretch, But they are a very good pellet. Not sure if they are worth $80.00 a ton more than other brands. I can get them for $290.00 here,still pricey to me. I would be really interested in the temp outputs you might get from them. I just might have to get a few bags to remind myself how good they were. It has been a while since I tried them.

Keep me posted.
jay

CWR said:
Hey Jay....Stopped by a Dodge's Agway in Hampton to get a grain scoop and saw that they carried Cubex's. Bought a bag to try this weekend. The kid behind the counter told me that they were THE best in the world. They are pricey....$330 a ton! They have Oakies at $250 a ton.

Chandler

Chandler,

Nice find at Dodges, I need to know of some good quality pellets in the Portsmouth area. My g/f just put in an XXV in Kittery and she will need to be able to pick up pellets as she goes (got a free ton of NEWP with the stove). The Okies at BJ's, portsmouth seem to have handling issues, that stinks. The Cubex's are a bit steep, but the Okies are very reasonable.

Hey Jay, a little detour on your thread; hope you dont mind :cheese:

NOT READY FOR THE COLD !!!!

Geno

gbreda said:

Geno

No problem Geno, I love pellet talk! I too am not ready for it, But will handle it with no issue's thanks to my big ol' heat cranking stove I got. Nice and toasty in here.

I pretty much got the same results as yesterday. About a 1/2 bag over night. Yesterday I used a full bag for whole the day. Checking my notes from simular weather days thats about what is normal for the stove. So it doesn't look as though it is saving much on pellets. A good feature is lack of heat lag time. Temp seems to come right up. A bad feature is the stove seems dirtier than usual. I will have to manually go to high to help clean it out some. And some more draft air to clean up the low burn.

Still tinkering and having fun with it.
jay

jtakeman said:
gbreda said:

Geno

No problem Geno, I love pellet talk! I too am not ready for it, But will handle it with no issue's thanks to my big ol' heat cranking stove I got. Nice and toasty in here.

I pretty much got the same results as yesterday. About a 1/2 bag over night. Yesterday I used a full bag for whole the day. Checking my notes from simular weather days thats about what is normal for the stove. So it doesn't look as though it is saving much on pellets. A good feature is lack of heat lag time. Temp seems to come right up. A bad feature is the stove seems dirtier than usual. I will have to manually go to high to help clean it out some. And some more draft air to clean up the low burn.

jay

Jay what are your time limits over night? 8hrs or more..

I've been burning on med and just letting it do its thing. I went through about a 1/2 bag soft pellets over night. 8hrs

Haubera said:
Yeah, I've thought about getting a thermostat, but I'm just not ready to do it yet. Plus I use the time right after I get home, before starting the stove, to clean out the ash from the night before. Definitely is cool enough to work with then.

If everything is good w/ your stove & flue setup, there should be no need to clean the stove every day. I do mine every 4-5 days, and i burn 24/7.

When you DO finally get a programmable stat hooked up & running, you'll look back & say "why did I wait so long???".

jtakeman said:
.....I pretty much got the same results as yesterday. About a 1/2 bag over night....... A good feature is lack of heat lag time. Temp seems to come right up.......
jay
Jay, so after the first night of running on Hi-Lo, the stove used about 1/4 - 3/8 bag from 11pm until 6:45am....better than I thought. I had the stove set at 5 (medium).

Really nice that the house was warm already, unlike when I had it set for the stove to come on at 5:45 from a cold start. (Stat is set at 65 at night).

So far, I like it!

Fish On said:
jtakeman said:
gbreda said:

Geno

jay

Jay what are your time limits over night? 8hrs or more..

I've been burning on med and just letting it do its thing. I went through about a 1/2 bag soft pellets over night. 8hrs

I have my stat set to drop to 68°F at 8:30 PM. We are in bed by 9, And we are up at 5:00AM. so stat is set to raise to 72°F for 4.00 AM. So yes about 7 1/2 to 8 hrs. If I kept this stove on medium heat we would be roasting by midnight. I get about a 1°F raise per hour on average once stove is at temp. Low is just about maintaining the house temp. It has to be below 0°F before I can keep it on medium over night. Even then we are to warm in the morning. This stove really cranks out the heat. Roughly 30,000 BTU's on medium.

macman said:
jtakeman said:
.....I pretty much got the same results as yesterday. About a 1/2 bag over night....... A good feature is lack of heat lag time. Temp seems to come right up.......
jay
Jay, so after the first night of running on Hi-Lo, the stove used about 1/4 - 3/8 bag from 11pm until 6:45am....better than I thought. I had the stove set at 5 (medium).

Really nice that the house was warm already, unlike when I had it set for the stove to come on at 5:45 from a cold start. (Stat is set at 65 at night).

So far, I like it!

macman,

What was the normal nightly pellet usage on Auto/Off?

I think mine is about even. But it is sure nice to have it warm as soon as I am up. We usually turn on the baseboard electric in the bathroom for 1/2 hour or so. Haven't had to do that yet! I like being warm! Auto/Off setting I had to have the temp raise set at about 1:30 am to get the same results. From 68°F to 72°F takes about 4 hours for the house to recover. I would have to get a chart recorder(or get my lazy butt out of bed at midnight), but I bet the house doesn't drop below 70°F. It was at 71°F by 5:00 Am. I like it so far too! But if it warms up I will have to go bag to Auto/Off. I am sure it will raise the heat in the warmer temps.

jtakeman said:
macman, What was the normal nightly pellet usage on Auto/Off? ......But if it warms up I will have to go bag to Auto/Off. I am sure it will raise the heat in the warmer temps.

I'm guessing that on On-Off, I used about the same...about 1/4 bag. I'm sure the stove came on a few times during the night when the rooms got down to 65-66. I'm happy if i can use the same amount of pellets on Hi-Lo.....saves the ignitor, and the house was warmer when I got up
Yep, if temps go up, I'll go back to On-Off too.

BTW, Winter Weather advisory for my area....another storm for tonight into tomorrow morning.....3-6" and some freezing rain maybe too......get those generators ready! (it figures...they predict the highest snow amounts for right where I am!!!! :mad: )

macman said:
jtakeman said:
macman, What was the normal nightly pellet usage on Auto/Off? ......But if it warms up I will have to go bag to Auto/Off. I am sure it will raise the heat in the warmer temps.

I'm guessing that on On-Off, I used about the same...about 1/4 bag. I'm sure the stove came on a few times during the night when the rooms got down to 65-66. I'm happy if i can use the same amount of pellets on Hi-Lo.....saves the ignitor, and the house was warmer when I got up
Yep, if temps go up, I'll go back to On-Off too.

BTW, Winter Weather advisory for my area....another storm for tonight into tomorrow morning.....3-6" and some freezing rain maybe too......get those generators ready! (it figures...they predict the highest snow amounts for right where I am!!!! :mad: )

I bet your buddy Krooser(aka shemp) has that big ol' fan blowing it our way! :mad:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47531/#523534

Looks like 36°F is the balance temp for my stove on low. My house hasn't dropped any today. So I am guessing anything above that is a Auto/Off day for me. At least I figure out what temp my cut off is!

How about you?

jtakeman said:
Looks like 36°F is the balance temp for my stove on low. My house hasn't dropped any today. So I am guessing anything above that is a Auto/Off day for me. At least I figure out what temp my cut off is!......How about you?
probably about the same, but I don't get that "sophisticated" :eek:hh: .....if looks like it's going to be well above freezing for more than 24 hrs, I'll switch it back to On-Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.