1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone Else Using a Non-EPA stove?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by xjcamaro89, Nov 3, 2011.

1. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Greetings, At v ranch 1 we have a Centennial wood stove purchased new in the 70's. at v ranch 2 we just installed a Nordic Eric jr that is somewhat newer.

I love the Centennial, they were made in Oregon, I installed a glass plate in the door using a cast part from another stove, other than that it is stock, still getting used to the Nordic.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    We've got both, but only the EPA stove is running right now. The EPA stove is a Lopi Republic 1750. The non-epa is a cone shaped open stove...I can't think of the brand now. I attached a pic. It's in a three season porch.

Attached Files:

• a206.jpg
      a206.jpg
      File size:
      160.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Damper Dan

Damper Dan Member

Loc:
    Northern IN
    Thanks for the detail about operating your stove...I picked up an identical one (King Model 2007 by US Stove) from Craig's list and haven't had a chance to burn it yet. However, after I got it home I took a closer look at the upper baffle and now know what over firing in a stove can do. The baffle looks like rolling waves...this stove must have some thin steel. Not sure if the warped baffle makes this unsafe to operate...no signs of cracks or splits...any one have any thoughts on that???

4. Damper Dan

Damper Dan Member

Loc:
    Northern IN
    Just sold my EPA stove (Napoleon 1400) and I'm going back to my non-EPA (Nashua).
    Some older non-EPA's (like the Nashua) were very well designed, had long burn times, put off a great amount of heat and burn almost as clean.
    I like secondary burning technology... but I also want heat output.
  5. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I replaced my old Centennial stove a few years back with my Lopi. Do you know where they were made in Oregon?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    oppirs likes this.
  6. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I've got an early 80's Charmaster wood/oil combo forced air furnace ..... it has a 30" firebox and a big door, but I usually don't put things longer than about 24" into her. I have my own woods, so I save a bundle on heating costs each year. I have no trouble holding a fire all day/night with a big load of the right woods.
  7. oppirs

oppirs Member

Loc:
    SE Illinois
    That's a cool ad, What year? My Lopi is old maybe the '70s, as they (KDI) use the word's (Asbestos)

Tag said made in Springport, MI

DSC01530a.jpg
  8. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I have a pre-EPA stove, but it is a gassifier. Wood consumption is low. I do intend to replace it one of these years with a cat stove.
    The features of the cat stove are very appealing to me.
  9. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state

My old stove was from '74. The ad was from late '77.
  10. Scols

Scols Member

Loc:
    Springs New York
    My 70's era Better N Ben stove was originally one of those slammer installations.However, on mine the surround just bolts on to 10 studs on the back of the stove so it was very easy to remove.This year in my new house I set it up as a free standing stove in a fireplace with a stainless steel chimney.Besides being safer,it drafts much better and I no longer get puffbacks even during strong winds.The stove puts out tremendous heat but I dont get burn times of more than 4 or 5 hours.
  11. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    Just want to clarify - what you have is a EPA-Exempt stove. When you say its non-epa to me it could be a pre-epa stove.
    It became EPA-Exempt by meeting certain qualifications and/or was demonstrated to meet those qualifications. Most likely due to the fact you cannot choke off the air to the extent it will smolder thus emitting much more particulates into the air.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/exemptwood.pdf
  12. LaBonBon

LaBonBon New Member

Loc:
    Stillwater, Minnesota USA
    My Kodiak is pre-EPA and works great. Keeps my two-story home toasty warm.
  13. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Greetings, Just got back, we were at the other place for longer than usual. Interesting to read the post you guys added to this thread. It took me a while to rember my sigh in details.
    I rebuilted the area around the stove at the high desert ranch using information I found on this forum.

I'll research how to put up a avatar and other info so things don't look so blank. Good to read what you've been doing and thinking. Thanks Richard