Anyone else waiting on a new Woodstock?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Wood stock on Saturday, put deposit on a PH. I did tour the Factory. There are guys working in the Factory. There are many IS stoves manufactured and awaiting finishing touches and customization.
I love factory direct! Especially if the Factory is only 38 miles North of me!
He was very honest with me about the fabrication process and things that can cause delays on his end, so I have confidence that my stove will be delivered on my promised time. If it is not I am sure I will get an Honest answer, since I can just go take another Tour and see for myself.-ha ha ha.
I dabble with a cnc plasma cutter and full well know what will cause a delay in production.
Good things come to those that wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenn Dave
An American Manufacturing Facility with a back log!
Music to my ears!
I watch the Econoburn and Garn videos and check in on the Kuuma guys too! I wonder if they too are backlogged?

If it is not I am sure I will get an Honest answer, since I can just go take another Tour and see for myself.-ha ha ha.
I dabble with a cnc plasma cutter and full well know what will cause a delay in production.
Good things come to those that wait!

You got that right about WS being honest. They are THE most pleasant company I have ever dealt with.

The way Woodstock treats me, I feel like I have my own personal woodstove maker.

I keep getting pushd back further and further on when my stove will be ready... They aren't even letting me know they can't make their promised dates--I have to contact them after the date has passed to find out what is going on. This has happened three times now. I am getting a bit frustrated. I feel like I'm being strung along rather than being given an honest assessment of what to expect.

Sounds like gearhead production has overwhelmed them. It may be time for a separate facility and production line.

Last edited:
I keep getting pushd back further and further on when my stove will be ready... They aren't even letting me know they can't make their promised dates--I have to contact them after the date has passed to find out what is going on. This has happened three times now. I am getting a bit frustrated. I feel like I'm being strung along rather than being given an honest assessment of what to expect.
I talked to them last Saturday regarding the production and custom work. The process they are using now creates a beautiful cut and is a great improvement over the old. I inspected many of the IS boxes in the factory. I like the pride they are taking in the work. I even tried to buy one that was unfinished so I could do the custom work. They where not willing to do that and have a sense of pride in the final fit and finish.
All New England craftsmen in general are very unique. Their pride will shine through in the product, but generally patience is needed. And always worth the wait.
Im pushing my jotul 450 insert until my PH is ready.
Hang in there! Im positive you will be happy with your choice.

Here's my Woodstock story so far. A year ago, I was forced to sell my hand made, by myself, 2300 sf timberframe home. When a Sicilian mobster who sells and shoots AR-15 semi automatic weapons day or night 200 feet from your back door, there is just so much a normal person can endure. 10 years of love and sweat gone. Also gone was my Mansfield. Then my boss and friend of 30 years decides to call it quits. As in life. I move to a crappy apt. Beyond depressed. OkCupid to the rescue. I then meet the most wonderful woman.
Fast forward. Her uninsulated home was built in 1865 and she has a Jotul F500. After several weeks in October I became so frustrated with this stove I immediately began investigating. The Mansfield (great stove) was out, no rear flue exit. Then the Progress kept showing up on my screen. Took a few days of investigation, then I sent them a check for half and reserved it. It had to be reserved I thought, was because it was so popular. I'm willing to wait for quality. But week after week I keep feeding this Jotul with a years supply of wood in a 2 month period of time. My Progress was to be ready in mid December. A few days ago I get a notice that the foundry in Belgium went belly up and hence the delay. A few more emails I am hearing that they are trying to make some metal parts for inside the stove.
Here's my question in general. I have heard nothing but great things about this stove and the company in general. As a lifelong stove owner I am beyond excited about this purchase. But, with a major part of the stove (cast) being made by another manufacturer, and for some reason metal plates being fabricated in house, I am wondering if I am going to get a Beta stove that hasn't been put through it's paces. I totally understand their panic and frustration when a major supplier chain stops, but it feels like things might be a little frantic and haphazard in the shop at this moment. Gotta get up, time for yet another set of splits into the fire breathing Jotul beast...

Here's my Woodstock story so far. A year ago, I was forced to sell my hand made, by myself, 2300 sf timberframe home. When a Sicilian mobster who sells and shoots AR-15 semi automatic weapons day or night 200 feet from your back door, there is just so much a normal person can endure. 10 years of love and sweat gone. Also gone was my Mansfield. Then my boss and friend of 30 years decides to call it quits. As in life. I move to a crappy apt. Beyond depressed. OkCupid to the rescue. I then meet the most wonderful woman.
Fast forward. Her uninsulated home was built in 1865 and she has a Jotul F500. After several weeks in October I became so frustrated with this stove I immediately began investigating. The Mansfield (great stove) was out, no rear flue exit. Then the Progress kept showing up on my screen. Took a few days of investigation, then I sent them a check for half and reserved it. It had to be reserved I thought, was because it was so popular. I'm willing to wait for quality. But week after week I keep feeding this Jotul with a years supply of wood in a 2 month period of time. My Progress was to be ready in mid December. A few days ago I get a notice that the foundry in Belgium went belly up and hence the delay. A few more emails I am hearing that they are trying to make some metal parts for inside the stove.
Here's my question in general. I have heard nothing but great things about this stove and the company in general. As a lifelong stove owner I am beyond excited about this purchase. But, with a major part of the stove (cast) being made by another manufacturer, and for some reason metal plates being fabricated in house, I am wondering if I am going to get a Beta stove that hasn't been put through it's paces. I totally understand their panic and frustration when a major supplier chain stops, but it feels like things might be a little frantic and haphazard in the shop at this moment. Gotta get up, time for yet another set of splits into the fire breathing Jotul beast...
I'm not sure what is going on with your Jotul Oslo. It's a fabulous heater, I'm not sure a different stove will solve the problem.

As for production:
Almost all cast iron stove parts are farmed out. The cost of operating a foundry is more than any 1 stove manufacturer could absorb, so they make lots of things for other people. Vermont Castings still has their own foundry, Morso also makes a lot of parts in Europe. Lopi was using some foundry in China, but now has supposedly switched to some other foundry in Europe, probably Morso.

Reactions: claydogg84
Europe has many active stove casting foundries: Hergom, Efel, Dovre, Jotul, Morso, Lange, Esse, Stanley, etc.. A big firm is ZML industries. And there are many more in Poland, Slovakia, etc. that I don't know the names of. I read in an article that VC pours 3500 molds a day! In the US there are many foundries, but now they make griddles, fryingpans, pots, lids and cast iron parts for BBQs, cooking stoves, etc. Travis is still making stove parts is in eastern WA. And there is a cool small foundry in Maine, ASF, that casts replacement parts for old cast iron stoves.

http://www.castironcollector.com/foundries.php#

Europe has many active stove casting foundries: Hergom, Efel, Dovre, Jotul, Morso, Lange, Esse, Stanley, etc.. A big firm is ZML industries. And there are many more in Poland, Slovakia, etc. that I don't know the names of. I read in an article that VC pours 3500 molds a day! In the US there are many foundries, but now they make griddles, fryingpans, pots, lids and cast iron parts for BBQs, cooking stoves, etc. Travis is still making stove parts is in eastern WA. And there is a cool small foundry in Maine, ASF, that casts replacement parts for old cast iron stoves.

http://www.castironcollector.com/foundries.php#
Travis is making stove parts, but not casting iron in house.

Most reports for the Progress have been good, but there has been some growing pains with the stove too. Hopefully they have finally worked most of the bugs out by now, but it was a learning process.

It could be that the Jotul is undersized for the place if it is quite a leaky house. Has an energy audit been done on it. How does the Oslo run differently than the Mansfield other than being a radiant stove? Has it been checked to make sure there are no leaks, crud behind the ashpan or stuck air control?

Begreen and others.

Woodstock issued a heart felt explanation of their production issues centered solely upon the same complications many stove manufacturers are experiencing, the inability to get quality castings.

The state of economy in some of the largest cast facilities is not well. Due to our inability to get reliable delivery of products worthy of our standards, we and others are exploring new casting facilities. One of the largest, located in Belgium has filed bankruptcy and closed permanently.

We are exploring new facilities in the USA, Belguim and other countries, all with the intent of reliable delivery and quality. I want to thank Woodstock for sharing with us their very hard earned experience and new supply sources.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
I have heard about the bankruptcy, but at what facility in Belgium? Hope it's not Dovre or Efel.

PS, found a foundry in China doing an exact knock off of the Jotul 3. The only differences I could spot were double ovals on the door and what looked like a multi-fuel grate. I'm sure Jotul needs that like a hole in the head.

Lets bring the foundries back to America, we have cheaper energy, a better labor market, and great iron ore, the only thing that holds us back a epa air pollution rules.

There are many foundries in America. But industry seems to prefer outsourcing first. I am not sure the issue is epa ruling or anything to do with that. My guess (and I could be wrong) is this is more of a labor cost issue.

There are many foundries in America. But industry seems to prefer outsourcing first. I am not sure the issue is epa ruling or anything to do with that. My guess (and I could be wrong) is this is more of a labor cost issue.

Sorry to report I am told it was EFEL.

Lets bring the foundries back to America, we have cheaper energy, a better labor market, and great iron ore, the only thing that holds us back a epa air pollution rules.

When I first started 18 years ago, we had our own porcelain plant in the factory. Environmental regulations made that a thing of the past here is Washington state. You are correct about the foundries, I learned of a sleeper in Iowa yesterday and we'll be calling them next week.

If anyone has a contact at Woodstock, tell them to try the Cumberland Foundry in Cumberland RI. When I worked for machine manufacturer we used them. This is located maybe 4 hours south of the factory.

You speak of the Jotul like it's not a quality, capable heater. I'm guessing the problem is either operator error, or wet wood... Or both.

Rearscreen . . . tell us more about the Jotul . . . heating an uninsulated home with any stove can be a challenge . . . but the Oslo does have a pretty good reputation here for putting out heat providing it is run right and has good fuel and decent draft. Telling us a bit more about how well seasoned the wood is, how you operate the stove, stove and flue temps, etc. might allow us to help you dial in the stove while you wait for the Woodstock stove to arrive.

If anyone has a contact at Woodstock, tell them to try the Cumberland Foundry in Cumberland RI. When I worked for machine manufacturer we used them. This is located maybe 4 hours south of the factory.

I buy castings from the Luchettis... they do good work! Tough to find a good caster these days... boy let me tell you. Its an art that we are losing.

Hi folks, This Oslo at some point was seriously over fired by a tenant as the enamel is completely burned off near the flue. I assume internal parts were affected also. Before firing it up, last fall I cleaned all of the internal parts, checked the air control and the flue. I added an outside air intake, which pleased my girlfriend immensely as I eliminated drafts. The problem is not with the heat. This heats fine. It’s the amount of wood it takes to heat. Green, dry, anything. It’s gone. Temp? 350. Here is an example: I used to have as mentioned a 2300 sf house and could heat it no problem with the Mansfield. I went through less than 3 cords of wood a winter. My buddy down the road bought a new Oslo for his new 2 x 6 wall 1,600 sf home. He had cords lined up outside. In the spring the cords were gone, looked like twice as much as I burned. Just sayin.

I’ve been through steel, cast and soapstone stoves. After soapstone, for me, there is no going back.

Hi folks, This Oslo at some point was seriously over fired by a tenant as the enamel is completely burned off near the flue. I assume internal parts were affected also. Before firing it up, last fall I cleaned all of the internal parts, checked the air control and the flue. I added an outside air intake, which pleased my girlfriend immensely as I eliminated drafts. The problem is not with the heat. This heats fine. It’s the amount of wood it takes to heat. Green, dry, anything. It’s gone. Temp? 350. Here is an example: I used to have as mentioned a 2300 sf house and could heat it no problem with the Mansfield. I went through less than 3 cords of wood a winter. My buddy down the road bought a new Oslo for his new 2 x 6 wall 1,600 sf home. He had cords lined up outside. In the spring the cords were gone, looked like twice as much as I burned. Just sayin.

I’ve been through steel, cast and soapstone stoves. After soapstone, for me, there is no going back.

While it is entirely possible that the Oslo is wolfing down wood due to the home being uninsulated, I might suggest respectfully that either the stove has something wrong with it (perhaps due to overfiring) or it could be in the stove's operation. I have an 1,800 square foot home here in Maine and figure on using 4-5 cords of wood each winter season burning with the woodheat providing 90% or so of my heating needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.