Anyone ever bent a blade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcote

Feb 6, 2009
Northern Maine
I got my saw pinched yesterday and used the other saw to get it unpinched. When it unpinched, I couldn't grab my Stihl in time and the butt of the tree went right down on the blade, and bent it. Can this be fixed? I was going to take it to the dealer to see if they could fix it, or if it is worth it.

Blades are not that expensive, just get a new one. Suppose to replace them when they get worn anyway, every 15- 20 cords or so I suspect ( I have one getting that way, it has cut maybe 15 cords, so I am just going off my own experience).

You probably also ruined the chain, that can be fixed, the saw shop can replace the bent sections, but if it was me, for 25.00 or so, I'd throw it away and buy a new one.

I pinched a blade last winter, and as we cut it out, it fell and the tree fell on it - crushed the handle, it was ugly. Shop wanted 300 to replace handle and fix it, so I did it myself, just some angle aluminum and hose clamps and screws - oh and duct tape - maybe 15.00. Other than being ugly, it works great.

by saying blade are we talking bar?

Put the bar (blade) in a bench vise and bend it back straight, as long as the rails aren't pinching the chain. Chain should be ok, but make sure it runs free in the bar. If not, then the rails are pinching it. Throw the bar away in that case and get a new one.

mcote said:
Yes, meant bar. Thanks.

some bars can be hammerd back out just depends on how bad it was bent. (if its an es stihl bar I would sure give it my all

here's one that won't be fixed.
PC090194LargeWebview.jpg

:sick:

You gotta do what you gotta do. Figure that the chain and bar are basically throw aways and them being a bit crappy won't hurt the saw. Bend the bar back as straight as possible and be sure that the groove allows free movement of the chain.

Run it. You might get a reduced life out of it or maybe not. Then throw them away and replace. You're not out anything.

Oh and I've had to bend the bar back with a hitch ball and a rock while out in the woods. I used a screw driver to spread the bar groove as needed.

I pinched my bar in a wind gust felling a cherry last fall. A good FYI When freeing it if there is any chance of a falling tree, remove the saw from the bar so you only wreck the stuck bar not the whole saw. Anyway, the last few times I have been out cutting I have noticed quite a bit of smoke and heat on a long deep cut. I had bent the bar just enough last fall that it was tweaking the chain and causing a buildup of heat and was not biting into the cut very well.Just to look at it I couldn't tell it was bent... till I took it off and removed the chain and pins and layed it flat on my bench. It was twisted just enough to cause problems. I just replaced it and will keep the twisted one in my case to free another stuck bar, it's great when you dont have another saw to do it. Or heck use it to go at stumps and what not, when I don't want to destroy a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.