Anyone ever burn a Tulip tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
Hey guys, in my scrounging efforts I came across a guy with a big old Tulip tree that we took down together. I took a p/u truck of the stuff and in splitting it up found it to be different than any other wood I've processed. It seems to be formed in concetric layers that try to delaminate when it's split. It also seems to be much wetter than the oak/maple/ash I usually get. Does anyone have experience with Tulip? Based on how this stuff looks after splitting, I'm not too impressed so far.

thanks for the input. Chris

Tulip tree also known as tulip poplar or yellow poplar is actually in the Magnolia family. You can see the similarity when it blooms. It is a beautiful generally straight growing and very large tree, but its best use is basically for its ornamental value. Heat value is relatively low, similar to the poplars etc.

chrisN said:
Based on how this stuff looks after splitting, I'm not too impressed so far.

Just wait until you a get a whiff of it burning. Nasty.
Also, I've never had fresh split poplar that didn't grow mold while drying in a stack.

Thanks for the replies. BeGreen, the arboristsite is a very good resource, except for the fact that they continuously "dis" my husky rancher chainsaw! :p I'll mix this load of Tulip in with my hardwoods and burn it all up.

Chris

That stuff realy pops. :ahhh:

Those trees grow extremely fast, then tend to fall over on their own. I burned at least a half cord of it last year. If its free and easy to get its OK, but its just borderline hardwood, mine seemed reasonable to split, didn't have any problems with excessive water or mold. It just burns fast (low btu). Definitely not choice firewood.

My neighbor has one on the corner of our property that is always losing branches and twigs which supplies me with lots of kindling! Tradergordo hit all of the right reponses in his post about it; I'm just waiting for it to fall on my house one day!

PA. Woodsman said:
My neighbor has one on the corner of our property that is always losing branches and twigs which supplies me with
mn ,lots of kindling! Tradergordo hit all of the right reponses in his post about it; I'm just waiting for it to fall on my house one day!

That is something you should take seriously. My old boss had one JUST miss his house a few years ago. It traumatized his kids, biggest tulip tree I've ever seen. He said it cost him $10k to have it cut up and hauled off. I wouldn't want one of those trees anywhere within striking distance of my house.

$10K to have a fallen tree bucked-up and removed?I would cut up a tree with a butter knife and haul it away in the "little red express" for that kind of cash! :bug:

Titan said:
$10K to have a fallen tree bucked-up and removed?I would cut up a tree with a butter knife and haul it away in the "little red express" for that kind of cash! :bug:

Sounded kind of rediculous to me too. At the time I didn't own a saw or I might have had a go at it, but from what I understand it was like 4 foot in diameter (he showed me a picture with his son standing on it or next to it, it was crazy. A saw with a 20 inch bar couldn't have done this job (and I only have an 18). It was a massive amount of work.

Sounds like a lot of money to remove a fallen tree. It cost me a $1000 to remove one 100 footer close to my house. Anyway, as with most "poor" burning wood, mix it with your good stuff and you won't notice it, burn it in a pinch if that's all you have. But generally, this is not good burning wood.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.