Anyone ever burn corn in your XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbsr

Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Pennsylvania
I am thinking about trying a mix of corn and pellets in my XXV and looking for anyone with experience for advice. Is there any special kind of corn needed and what percentage of corn to pellets does one use. Will common feed corn do?

From my quad 1200i manual. Most likely same info should be in yours as well. Talked with a local supplier here in MA and corn is more expensive than pellets. I'm not sure how BTU compares to BTU. I was thinking of trying a bag of corn to mix myself to see how it goes but was hoping as you do someone that has burned corn could give a little more insight.

"2. Shelled Field Corn
Shelled field corn can be an efficient and economical fuel. We
recommend using a 50-50 blend of corn and wood pellets. The
only change in operation; 1) the feed rate may require a slight
adjustment and 2) firepot will require more frequent cleanings.
The BTU output varies slightly compared to pellets, depending
on the quality of the corn used. In cases where it is acceptable
for the appliance to run full time, 100% corn will work after the
fire has been started using wood pellets."

Last edited:
moisture content should be 12% or less

I've read (her on hearth.com, I think), that corn is more prone to getting jammed in the augers. Pellets will just break apart, and /or roll out of the way. 'Normal' (i.e. full kernel) corn is a bit more stubborn.

Make sure your vent is rated for burning corn. Corn is a bit acidic and will corrode your vent if its not the correct type.

Status
Not open for further replies.