Anyone ever burn Dogwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
I've got a line on a medium sized dogwood tree about 10 miles from my house. It might yield 2/3 of a P/U load. Has anyone burned this species? Do you think it will be worth my while? Thanks in advance!

Chris

I burned dogwood 4 years ago. Had a 35 year old Florida Rubrum (pink) that I cut down. Burned well for me and the heat output was very admirable.

Unless they are diseased and you are worried about leaving them stored at your place, dogwood is about as good as it get for hardwoods. I've burned a few pieces from a couple trees in my yard. They burned great. Like hickory or oak. And you usually don't have to split them since they are typically small diameter. A minimum of a year drying might be best.

Cool thanks for the info. By the way, I got this lead by posting on Freecycle offering to remove trees / old firewood from people's property.

When I bought this place there were at least a hundred flowering Dogwoods here. Since they are dieing off I have burned a few every year as they died and they are great fire wood.

There are only six left alive on the property. The State of Virginia is gonna have to pick a new flower one of these days since they are all dieing so fast.

they burn great kind of like oak

Status
Not open for further replies.