anyone ever get a hopper jam?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Not talking about pellets not sliding down or getting stuck on the sides.

basically, I run a Harman on room temp/manual and noticed that it seemed to be on maint burn for a long time and the temp in the room dropped couple degrees.
I turned the temp up after temp drop from 70 to 75 and still no ramping up of the flame.

heard the auger motor kick on 3 x in it's normal 60 second time frame.[have it on feed rate #3, but didn't
sound like it was dropping the normal amount of pellets..[ya get to notice these little things after having a stove for a while and reading a lot next to it].
I opened the hopper, and put my hand all the way down to the opening and just jiggled my fingers in the pellets.
then I heard the sound of more pellets dropping and eventually the flame ramped up.
wondering if it's due to my using Stove Chow pellets which although very hot, are not very uniform in length and can be as long as an inch which is no problem as long as it reaches the auger.
doesn't happen with Enegex which are pretty much uniform and small..
.does the hopper jam sound plausible?

Last edited:
Maybe you weren't getting a full amount of pellets dropping when the slide plate opens, like it was half blocked and feeding just enough to keep a fire.

Maybe you weren't getting a full amount of pellets dropping when the slide plate opens, like it was half blocked and feeding just enough to keep a fire.
that's what I was assuming happened but wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with that situation using longer pellets..

Longer pellets will feed slower, also if you have a lot of fines in the that will create a lack of pellet feed. By sticking your hand in the hopper and mixing it up helped out in the flow

Search the forum for bridge or bridging. Apparently some stoves are prone to have long pellets block the opening to the auger by "bridging" across it.

Jiggling your pellets (don't ask, don't tell!) opened it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.