Anyone ever have a partner on big equipment: Like a splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I'm really getting a bug for a splitter. The Husky 22 ton would fit my needs just fine. I don't burn a lot of wood, maybe a cord and a half a year. I'm trying to get several years ahead. I've got almost three cords split and stacked and close to two cords in rounds that need to be split and access to more wood than I can ever burn.

My neighbor burns a little in their open fireplace. ( I have a wood stove.) but he sells a few cords a year. I really can't justify spending a thousand bucks on a splitter. So, I'm thinking about asking him to go in for half with me. We are good, long term friends and often help each other out in different ways. We live about 100 yards apart and either of us have a place to store it.

I'm thinking we could get our personal supplies done (of course we'd help each other) and then we could build up a supply so that we could peddle a few cords each year.

I haven't approached him about it but is there any reason why this wouldn't work. Anyone else ever invested in a partnership like this?

No but my neighbor and I have recently started talking about it. I would go for it in a minute if I had half the cash. As it is, we are talking about going halves on a load of logs and splitter rental. He has more experience and a more even temperment. I have a truck and, well not much else :lol:

I think next year we might try and buy one together.

That sounds like a win-win to me.

As an aside, the other evening we heard a large tree fall. Went out to make sure neighbors were all okay. It fell on this neighbor's property. Next day he excitedly tell me "it was a red oak and it took out a poplar too!" We high five and wife rolls her eyes.

Kenster said:
Anyone else ever invested in a partnership like this?
Yes, and the only one that ever worked was with my son. I think partnerships only work when both partners are willing to give more than 50%, and I don't mean the money.

Just gotta lay down ground rules. little things like, who ever should happen to move first agrees to give their "halve to the other person" or sell it without conditions etc... things down the line that can cause issues.

I own 1/3rd of a splitter. The other guys are friends and co-workers. If something breaks, the guy who broke it gets to fix it. We're all welders and such, so we don't worry about how the fix works. Maintaining it, we just split the cost fluids, parts, whatever 3 ways. We're willing to help each other, but no one is under any obligation to help split someone elses wood. So far it's worked out well. If you trust them, and they know you'll blow up their truck if you don't get your way, things go pretty smoothly.

I loan mine out to anyone who needs it. (To friends that is) Way over 100 cords and prrrrrrrrrrr like a kitten and never an issue one!

Jay, what kind of splitter do you have?

Kenster said:
Jay, what kind of splitter do you have?

27 ton troy built.

I think this is a great idea....if the people are right. I'd take a look and compare how you each take care of your own stuff and how you work. If you think they are compatible, then it sounds good. Be honest. If you'll finish for the day and leave it all be until next time (like I do, though splitter under cover in the woodshed), and the other guy is the type to powerwash the thing and wax/buff (like my Dad is), then I'd suggest you might not be too happy down the road (or the other guy anyways). Once something breaks, wears, or get's a little surface rust....someone might grumble.

I had the idea a few years ago about trying to establish a website for people in local areas to do exactly this. Could easily take this to bigger equipment, compact tractors, etc. Us weekend warriors really dump a lot of money in machinery we really don't use that much....though it sure is nice to have it when we want it. But a small group most likely could pool together on a bunch of stuff and have a real nice setup. Good luck!

I think it makes a lot of sense for a splitter. They get relatively few hours put on them and it is pretty hard to abuse them. I would consider theft in your what if scenarios. I don't think I'd share any of the saws and learned the hard way twice not to loan out the dump trailers.

SolarAndWood said:
I think it makes a lot of sense for a splitter. They get relatively few hours put on them and it is pretty hard to abuse them. I would consider theft in your what if scenarios. I don't think I'd share any of the saws and learned the hard way twice not to loan out the dump trailers.

My friends would borrow me with a saw. lol

Hi all
Last summer i was picking up a unit heater at guy's house that works for me once in a while,there in his treasures was an unused spliter,beam was rusty.I asked him what was wrong with it.
He said it was given to him with a blown motor,he never had the extra $$ to buy one.It's an older speerco,don't know what size.Anyhow i had a 6 HP GX honda i found at the dump with a bolt wedged between the flywheel and block,Runs sweet with the bolt removed.
Anyhow i said i'v got a motor for that do you want to sell it?The deal was he couldn't sell it,So i said put my motor on it and we can both use it.We are both welders/mechanics so it is just a mater of fixing if something happens
The splitter was hardly used,now has the honda insted of the B&S,an upbuilt axle with bigger tires,and we both have a splitter to use that didn't cost any$$$ just some time and parts that were laying around my treasure piles.
Not quite the same as spending $$$ to partner up,but so long as the relationship is strong should be alright.
Did just go halfers on a Bobcat S220 with my brother.Seemed like a good idea,we both wanted one so we pooled our money and were able to get twice the machien for the same $$$
It's a 2006 with 1600 hrs,came with a bucket and forks.

I'm hoping the partnerships work out.
Thomas

Hmm, I actually have a third neighbor that lives about 3/4 mile away. We both have N tractors. He borrows my back blade sometimes. I borrow his box blade. He borrows my bushhog, I borrow his 16 foot trailer. He cuts and splits a little wood each year and has rented a splitter in the past.

Maybe we could go thirds! We could get that 22 ton Husky at Tractor Supply for about $350 each. None of us really have any need for a more powerful splitter. I'd probably use it more than anyone but not a great deal more.

$350 or so for a new splitter would be sweet! And I have confidence in a good working relationship with both of these guys. We could agree that if something breaks while one of us is using it, he's responsible for the repair. Regular maintenance will be split between the three of us.

I once owned a Cessna 172 with a partner and that worked out very well.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

"Jon,can I borrow your chainsaw/router/skilsaw/beltsander/smoothing plane/wood chisels/rotary hammer/gas cut-off saw?" "No,but I'll bring it/them over & do the job for you & take them back home today or tommorow.... ;-) " None of my antique cabinetmaking tools leave the property unless its for some restoration project though.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

"Jon,can I borrow your chainsaw/router/skilsaw/beltsander/smoothing plane/wood chisels/rotary hammer/gas cut-off saw?" "No,but I'll bring it/them over & do the job for you & take them back home today or tommorow.... ;-) " None of my antique cabinetmaking tools leave the property unless its for some restoration project though.

Same here never refuse to help a friend, but they know the only tools I lean is the splitter. The one who use it have split and help me many times over. Here if your looking for very accurate cut your headed to my Dad anyway. Hes got a 50 year old shop with everything in it.

I farm and work in town. I remember when all the people in the area used each others equipment. Not any more people have got too big and everyone has there own. My insurance company doesn't want me to loan out any equipment in case some on gets hurt.

Normally i would say no, dont do it. May cause many problems.
I have a few friends i would consider doing this with and others i would not.
But, with the "right" people it sounds like a good deal for everyone.
May want to set some sort of rules. Check oil, fill gas tank when done, etc.
I would not do it if i were burning a cord or two a year and the others were using it
year round for a firewood business. I suppose there are limits to what i would agree too.

hedge wood said:
I farm and work in town. I remember when all the people in the area used each others equipment. Not any more people have got too big and everyone has there own. My insurance company doesn't want me to loan out any equipment in case some on gets hurt.

Yeah, as if the insurance company would actually pay out on a claim!

I would do it if the person was trustworthy, which i don't think you would be considering this if they were not already. I have a good friend that loans me his when ever i need it. Usually keep it a month or two. He has no problem with it and knows that if i break it ill fix it and pay for the parts. I always bring it back full of fuel and cleaner than when i picked it up, even if i have to breakout the power washer. I have talked about buying in on it but he flat refuses, always says just use it. He got it with insurance money when a tree landed in his mothers living room! (husky 35ton)

I think with a basic set of ground rules and good communication it would work out well.

I have went on "Halfs" on many things. I have a Friend who is a Forum member on here that we "Buy" or "share" in together. Been best friends for 16 yrs. We bought a Motorcycle lift a few years back together. Its at his house, but he is a motorcycle mechanic. He rebuilt my 400EX (He went tp MMI in Florida), I installed his pellet stove. We Pay it Forward to each other every month. Depends on what week it is as to "Who owes Who?".. But its a good thing to have... Having a good Friend/Neighbor/Brother/Sister can be the Best thing in the world. Any of my tools are his and vise versa... Have heard HORROR Stories of people who have "Falling Out" of some sort. Then that said item is in Jeopardy? If they are good neighbor's, you have nothing to worry about. I have only split a little over a cord with my 21 ton MTD and its done a great job. Picked up some nice Maple and Oak yesterday. There were 2 pieces (Crotches) that I thought were gonna stop her... She kept on going.... My Wife helped me the whole time (9 months Pregnant/ Due in 4 days) Good Luck and try and work a deal on the splitter. I always get some money off/free assembly.... Always worth a shot to save a buck.

I have a friend/firewood partner and we both heat with wood. I just got into it a few years ago and he has been in it for 30 years or so. We work together and he sells a few 10-15 cords every year. We split the income in 50/50 and use his propoerty. Last year I picked up a new 35 ton Huskee and a used MS660. He wanted to go half but I said no way. It is not that I don't trust him, I do as all equipment is kept at his place, but keeps things more cut and dry if (God forbid) something would happen between us or to one of us. Maintanince is shared by both of us and expenses come out of the firewood money pot. One big big plus for me is we use his acerage to work on as I live in town.

I would wiegh the financial input on your behalf with the value of the relationship of the proposed parnter(s). In other words, if you were beaten out of your investment, would it cause the demise of that relationship and would that be worth the chance? Many things can happen that can be both unpredictable and have profound impacts on your investment. What would happen if the splitter was stolen from one of the partners? Would that partner have to buy another and could they? Would they have to buy your investment out and at what amount? What if one of you decides to start selling wood and uses the splitter at a rate 5-10 times the original assumed use? I am the type that will lay out more to have better, so that I can depend on it for many years. Bought a commercial grade mower, 28 ton splitter, higher end saw. Now, in my mind, I won't have to invest in any of those tools for a decade.

My neighbor, the proposed partner on the splitter, is the type of guy that, if he could justify owning a splitter for his own needs, he would buy it and say, "Ken, come on over and get it anytime you need it. By the way, the tomatoes are ripe so help yourself to those, too."

We could both afford a splitter on our own but it just doesn't make sense for the small amounts of firewood we do each year. I'll bet he doesn't burn half a cord in his open fireplace but he sells a little from downed trees on his property, mostly to little old ladies at the church. I think he only charges them $100 a cord cut and split, delivered and stacked. And I guarantee you they'll get probably ten percent above a "dictionary cord." I'm almost 59 and he's probably almost ten years older. He'd give me the shirt off his back if he thought I needed it. I have no worries about partnership issues with him.

I wonder if you could install a Hobbs meter, like I had on my Cessna and still have on m 8N tractor. Then we could log in actual use and agree to put into a maintenance kitty X number of dollars per hour used.

And I'm likely to use it more than he will. I haven't even asked him yet. He might not have any interest or need. I'll let you know.

I appreciate all the pointers and insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.