Anyone ever heard of Pileated pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby1

Dec 20, 2008
Western Ma.
Has anyone heard of Pileated pellets from New England somewhere? Ran across the site but never heard of them before. Dont know if its a new Company or what.
Always looking to try something new. :coolsmile:

Sounds like they may be a new brand from a relatively new plant.

http://pileatedpellets.com/

They calim to be pretty good, but don't they all. They are from Maine and donate money from the purchases back to the local New England area. If you buy some, let us know how they perform. They downplay other manufacturers who get raw materials from hard wood flooring scraps but the pellets I use are from a hardwood flooring facility and I think they perform excellent (at least for me).

The website looks homemade, the claim that other pellet brands may contain glue or other toxic chemicals makes this company look rather cheesy to me. Even the name of the brand seems cheesy.

I'd like to see some supporting evidence that other pellet brands emit toxic exhaust or may contain glue or chemicals. I'd also want to know which brands. They shouldn't make a statement like that without backing it up with fact. It reflects poorly on the pellet fuel industry as a whole, IMO

Nope, but I've heard of Pileated Woodpeckers......

A whois on pileatedpellets.com doesn't provide contact information other than a European privacy company.

As for Pileated Woodpeckers I snapped a picture of one last fall from my back steps.

Here is a link to the CEO's linkedin listing http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/william/juch .

There was supposed to be a new mill start up in Maine but I haven't heard much lately, but then I haven't been really paying attention to such things.

OK heres the scoop. I called the store thats listed on the web site and they told me that Pileated wood pellets is a new company but they have not started producing pellets yet. Dont know why they already had a retail store listed. Also was told by the store that they only sell pellets to people that bought a stove from them. Guess they dont want any new business.

LOL, I guess that Pileated also doesn't want to sell much either.

Did the store tell you where the plant was being built?

It might be worth while to check with the sate of Maine and see if the company actually exists, but since I am not a customer of that store, I'll keep my money and not inquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.