anyone ever put in cooktop with aseperate stove under?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
I was told to buy a base cabinet....
I wanna put in the Habitat Restore purchase of a almost new looking white coning Ware cooktop....
Hubby has an old GE built in oven at other house. But its that black glass.. cant remember the size...
I dont wanna a digital crap.. I want the old knob type.
heck I could have gotten a slide in for $20 last year at the same Habitat store.. I am still kicking my butt.... it look almost new.... DUH:(;sick
anyone do so??? this small blank blank house kitchen isnt large so not lots of room.
there is a partial funtion old unit here. Has the mirowave on top which I detest.... I could have put up with it if it was a second oven instead..... and it yhat hated blak glass front. :p
Did buy Flair but too big for this kitchen so put it in basement kitchen... had a chance to get a 30 inch Flai but as usual missed out....
thanks Guys

Whoa, hard to follow your post, rambles a bit. I did install a cooktop with drawers underneath to hold the pots and pans, and then installed the oven separately. Does this help? Rather than installing the cooktop so that the glass would rest on top of the cabinet, I recessed the cooktop into the cabinet, leaving it still 1/16th of an inch above the cabinet top so that any over-hanging hot pots wouldn't damage the cabinet top.
DSCN2345.JPG

DSCN2346.JPG

Whoa, hard to follow your post, rambles a bit. I did install a cooktop with drawers underneath to hold the pots and pans, and then installed the oven separately. Does this help? Rather than installing the cooktop so that the glass would rest on top of the cabinet, I recessed the cooktop into the cabinet, leaving it still 1/16th of an inch above the cabinet top so that any over-hanging hot pots wouldn't damage the cabinet top.
View attachment 173020
View attachment 173021
Thanks Jebatty
naw mine has to go underneath each other... No microwave wanted....well do have a combo micowave convection counttop unit.... Hubby wants to put that above the soon to be cooktop. Naw rather have a small real elec oven there. We kept the small above the stove OLD GE oven off the old GE unit that was in the basement...
Jebatty....where you have the drawer section we have the DW(none in house when we bought this tiny house).
I have a corner cabinet next to DW.. lft side then the stove around the corner
the the presentold "GE stove combo microwave above."...
so it has to go into that space.
did you build your oven "cabinet"????? Not much there. about sits on the floor? how wide is that space?how far odff th foor is the oven? I see you have the black glass unit>>>. I wanna old white enamel or porcelin...
DO NOT have room to put oven seperately... Tiny kitchen.
we added cabinets across from present kitchen . since no breakfast nook or sep dining area...
so we di the peninsula... dont wanna give up that space.either
cause Im not a resturant person. cook and bake most mine own stuff....
SO ANYONE ELSE??? I saw a few on old " Gardenweb "kitchen forum. mostly high end stuff
Come om yall more input please...

did you build your oven "cabinet"????? Not much there. about sits on the floor? how wide is that space?how far odff th foor is the oven?
Bottom of the oven is 4-1/2" above the floor. I did build the cabinet. Width was just enough to fit the oven in the space with the wood trim, oven door itself is 29-3/4" wide.

Jim, I guess you didnt do the cooktop above cause the oven would have about sit on the floor? nice job .. what are those things on sides of ovens? metal panels? or doors??? hard to tell... hope you do not mind answering all this...
is you countertop laminate???
Dang it I thought my new to me used Corning ware cooktop was 30 inches but its over 32 so have to do some fanageling(spelling)?
unfortunately my dream kitchen just sits there... in other home,,,, what a heartache... a long story;sick;sick:(:mad:
wow i like your solar too......:):cool:_g

Last edited:
jeanw - I would guess that the "jean" part of you member name is your actual name, and if so, my wife also is a jean. Great name. Well, I don't think the oven would be any closer to the floor than it is now. We installed the over in the corner because it used space more efficiently and we thought it would look better. We also like angles, therefor the inset. We really wanted the big drawers under the cooktop to hold pots and pans, slow cooker, big stuff used for cooking, etc. The things on the sides of the oven are wood doors for narrow cabinets which are perfect for storing cooking sheets, cutting boards, muffin pans, etc. Countertop is laminate, my wife's favorite color.

2016 is 20 years with this kitchen, which used to be a bedroom. I built the whole thing myself. We wouldn't change a thing. We planned what would go in each cabinet before I built the cabinets, most are over-sized at 15" deep, much better than the 12" commercial cabinets, and the two above the fridge are 18" deep for big platters and other big stuff. Almost all of the lower cabinets are drawers, no doors to open and then reach inside. Just pull out the drawer and everything is right in front of you.

Good luck with your kitchen. Plan it carefully. The planning is worth it. Thanks for the comment on the solar. I am a big fan of solar.

jeanw - I would guess that the "jean" part of you member name is your actual name, and if so, my wife also is a jean. Great name. Well, I don't think the oven would be any closer to the floor than it is now. We installed the over in the corner because it used space more efficiently and we thought it would look better. We also like angles, therefor the inset. We really wanted the big drawers under the cooktop to hold pots and pans, slow cooker, big stuff used for cooking, etc. The things on the sides of the oven are wood doors for narrow cabinets which are perfect for storing cooking sheets, cutting boards, muffin pans, etc. Countertop is laminate, my wife's favorite color.

2016 is 20 years with this kitchen, which used to be a bedroom. I built the whole thing myself. We wouldn't change a thing. We planned what would go in each cabinet before I built the cabinets, most are over-sized at 15" deep, much better than the 12" commercial cabinets, and the two above the fridge are 18" deep for big platters and other big stuff. Almost all of the lower cabinets are drawers, no doors to open and then reach inside. Just pull out the drawer and everything is right in front of you.

Good luck with your kitchen. Plan it carefully. The planning is worth it. Thanks for the comment on the solar. I am a big fan of solar.
naw too late for planning.. dont really want to be here.in this house.. biggest mistake of our lives...
Hubby bought several new cabinets and I unfortunately... AND siily me hurriedly bought two used solid surfaces...Clist finds....
.the big piece doesnt have finished edges all sides. and the nice regular width countertop is too long. but unfort. not long enough to accomadate the cooktop .. all the good CList deals are all over 80 miles away or more.
DONT YALL just hate when people dont remove their CList ads...???? I hate even more when no phone number listed just email.. RAH
but in the meantime I want a working oven and flat cooktop....
wow 20 years.... and a former bedroom at that.. what a nice job... Hubby did some cabinetwork in our former home.... too mch he said...even while he was still working....
Now to figure out how much space needed to safely install the old used oven
sorry to run on thanks all for listening and advising...

Status
Not open for further replies.