Anyone Ever Rip Out An Old Heatform Fireplace Before?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I may have the wife convinced to rip out my burnt out Superior Heatform fireplace and redo the brick work to make it more of a hearth for a stove. I'm calling a mason next week to see what he says and if it's even possible. I'm worried about the structural soundness and don't want the whole chimney to come down if I cut out the old heatform.

Here is a pic of mine. To remove the old heatform I'd have remove all the brick from the top vent down and also to each edge of the lower side vents. There is just 1 layer of brick in front of the metal heatform.

Attachments

• 000_0063.jpg
    000_0063.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 875
Insert time!

I was going to send you a note yesterday. There is a place that is having a sale on High Valley 1/4" plate cat inserts and with the tax credit and their free shipping you would come in at about a grand. But they need an 8" chimney. How big is the hole to the sky in that fireplace?

My clay tiles are 12x12 so no problem handling an 8" pipe. Don't know what to do, I have 3 options, fix the fireplace, insert, or new hearth stove. If I fix it, it will burn out somewhere else down the road. An insert would keep that fireplace look and be easier and cheaper than tearing it all apart for a hearth stove but I sure like the looks of xraydog's setup.

I like the looks of that 2500 but it would be way overkill for my 1000 sq ft and would be a tight fit. The 1500 would probably work but the wife doesn't like the plain looking surrounds. Those are great prices tho. I need to hold off til those new Alderlea inserts come out this summer, a T-5 would look nice if it had a good looking surround panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.