Anyone Ever Seen One of These---Cawley Cast Iron Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Ran across this stove today on the Portland Craigslist, I've never seen one before, wondering if anybody else has heard of them. Pretty little stove........

NP

Attachments

• Cawley1.jpg
    Cawley1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Cawley2.jpg
    Cawley2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,305
cawley-lemay stove, maybe? they were quite popular (and pretty) back in the day. work nicely.

Cawley-Lemay stoves were (I think) made in PA starting in the '70's. The one pictured is (I think) the 800 model. There were one or two other models very similar in design to the Jotul 602. The stoves had beautiful ornate castings and an excellent reputation.

Lemay was a partner in the operation and only helped with the first stoves (400/600) - so they dropped that part of the name for the later stoves 500 + 800

So they are Cawley.

Martha Cawley is still alive - Bob passed away. She is an artist and sculptor.
http://www.dogsincaststone.com/artist.html
we bought one of her stone dogs!

I took a look at the PDF for the Model 800; it's interesting that the heating range is listed in volume (cu. ft.) instead of area (sq. ft.) which makes a lot more sense to me. Is sq. ft. used today because most people have no idea on the volume of their home?

Status
Not open for further replies.