Anyone Ever Try This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
http://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Alternative-Heating-Pellets-Fireplace/dp/B006C8FFEK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3

I would only burn wood in my insert, but I also have a pellet stove so I do have the pellets.... I wonder how long it would take to burn through a rack of pellets like that. Also wouldn't it be a little dangerous refilling it? I mean I doubt the guy is holding it like that after its been in the stove or fileplace for a bit.

I don't see how you would do anything but smolder the pellets in that thing. No way to force the combustion air thru it. I'm sure one of our ex-members would use it in conjunction with his Magic Heat & rave about it, but I wouldn't waste the money...

Reactions: webby3650
Other than the fact that it would just smolder, what's the point? Pellets are so expensive! To me it would be like using a gas log to heat with. I think bio bricks would be a much better alternative.

Other than the fact that it would just smolder, what's the point? Pellets are so expensive! To me it would be like using a gas log to heat with. I think bio bricks would be a much better alternative.

I don't understand it myself. If you want to heat with pellets get a pellet stove. If you want to heat with firewood, get a wood stove....

A few members here have tried baskets like that but will little success. A search on "pellet basket" will bring up some threads.

Free cut, split and delivered firewood, then yes you are right.
Even if you have to buy wood. That basket can't be making enough heat to do any good! I guess i would be similar to a pellet stove though, it's kinda warm.:p
It's ok, I was in denial when I had a pellet stove too. Then I felt the warmth of a real fire and never looked back!:cool:

Of those that have tried them in the past, at best I remember mixed results and certainly can't recall anyone giving us long term updates.

I'd suggest spending your money on a different hearth related toy to experiment with.

pen

I have both actually. Grew up with wood stoves. Now I use the pellet stove for primary heating and wood stove for extra when wanted. Don't need the wood stove really. It won't run off a thermostat or turn on and off automatically anyway... ;)

Reactions: UMainah
I have one. Fine for the first fill. Last about three hours. Refill and restart is a pain in the butt.

I have one. Fine for the first fill. Last about three hours. Refill and restart is a pain in the butt.

They just look to cumbersome to realistically use on a regular basis. I guess this basket is really for the cusious who never burned pellets.

I keep a bag of pellets around as I sometimes throw a handful on hot coals to help burn my coals down or help in a re-start.

You can make a cheap and quick fire starter or an emergency fire starter using paper towel with pellets in the middle and slithers of candle wax mixed in. Pull the four corners of the paper towel up and then tape off in a tear drop shape. Use 2 paper towels for double thickness if you want.

In mild seasons when I want a really nice looking fire but don't need a bunch of heat I put the basket in the 30-NC when we are entertaining. A beautiful fire in that big glass and it ain't gonna over heat the joint lately.

I have one of those I will send you if you will pay the postage. Brother Bart and I bought them together a couple of years ago. I learned how to burn pellets in my Heritage. I just shovel them in on top of the wood if the fire is burning, or if it isn't, I clear out the ashes and shovel in 20 pounds and build a wood fire on top of them. I stir them up now and then, and maybe add another piece of wood during the day. Around here, pellets are a third the price of cord wood, and they really stretch the fuel supply.

I can even burn straight pellets, if I mound them up in front of the dog house air intake. Looks like a blow torch.

I've burned the pellets in large metal coffee cans (with some holes drilled on the sides). With my old Century insert it could help fill unused space. Also have used rows of pellets on the sides to get a fire started. Just use the propane blow torch to get the pellets going.

I'm thinking if you were set on burning pellets in a woodstove, it'd be a LOT easier to fill up a doubled-up paper bag with pellets, bundle it up with twine, and put that in the stove instead of that basket. You could pre-bundle your pellets and make lots of bags, no need to remove and refill a basket that way.

Gonna take some time to get a full load stacking those small little rounds , but doable I guess. LOL :)

I bent one up from a sheet of expanded metal. I used it a few times and found it not worth it. As mentioned above, re-fills are a pain.

DSC09880.JPG DSC09881.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.