Anyone ever use a pie/waffle iron on their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I'd like to pick up either cast iron pie and/or waffle iron for my wood stove. That way I can make more use out of the heat.

On my propane camping stove I know I use a small case iron bowl to melt lead for bullets. But I've never tried cooking anything on the stove even though I do have a large cast iron cook set put away for emergencies.

Anyone try the smaller camping cookware for waffles and pies/sammiches?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I'd like to pick up either cast iron pie and/or waffle iron for my wood stove. That way I can make more use out of the heat.

On my propane camping stove I know I use a small case iron bowl to melt lead for bullets. But I've never tried cooking anything on the stove even though I do have a large cast iron cook set put away for emergencies.

Anyone try the smaller camping cookware for waffles and pies/sammiches?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Cook all the time on my Woodstock PH. Did before the cast iron cook top came out...just used any heavy pot/pan/roaster directly on the soapstone. Cooks amazingly well. Potatoes wrapped in foil slowly roasted are the tastiest potatoes I have ever eaten. Get the stovetop to 350 and you can make great pancakes or grilled sandwiches. The soapstone conducts heat very slowly, so nothing ever seems to burn. You may have to use more care with a cast iron cooktop, or steel, because they will probably be hotter and will definitely conduct heat more rapidly. But go ahead and try cooking. You'll have fun. Try stews; put oatmeal or barley cereal on when you get up (maple syrup is great in either;' put veggies on in a bit of water, and let them simmer for a few hours for a great soup; a bit of milk or cream addedto soup in the last few minutes can be nice, and if you want peas or beans in your soup, if you add frozen just before removing from the stove, they taste fresh. Any meat or spice added gives nice, different flavor. You can make a large soup pot of veggies that need eating, cool most of it and store, have the rest for lunch. Then each of the next few days put the amount you need in a pot and add somethng different...barley or rice (red, wild, white, brown) or rye, for instance, or noodles or other pasta, and/or a meat or fish: clams, chicken, turkey, beef, ham, sausage, meatballs...what ever you have in the fridge as left overs. Quick great lunches or dinners once it gets cold out. Or stir fry a raw meat, add a bit of celery or mushroom or onion , then add the desired amount of soup, with or without milk or cream...The great thing about the PH is you can just put food on and leave it and go about your business. When you are hungry, you can eat. This stove simply doesn't burn things.

I modified my trivet on the top of my Napoleon 1900P yesterday to accept a pot/pan, something I've wanted to do since putting it in 5 years ago.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/modified-the-trivet-on-my-napoleon-1900p.90542/

I put a pot of ice cold water on it last evening, it had it right up near boiling within 15 minutes and it wasn't even a hot fire....

I plan on cooking on it all the time, now that I can get the pot to sit right on the stovetop. It should cook food kinda like a crockpot does, nice and slow. So I am expecting stews, ham and bean soup, chili, etc. should all be fantastic when cooked on top of the stove for hours. I may even do a couple eggs on it here in a bit, as there were still coals on it from the small fire I built last night (really didn't need a fire, but the kids and I outvoted the lady of the house!;)). So I threw on a couple small splits of white oak this morning, maybe I'll do some eggs/taters on it in a bit.

2012-09-23_08-06-36_117.jpg 2012-09-23_08-06-08_550.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I modified my trivet on the top of my Napoleon 1900P yesterday to accept a pot/pan, something I've wanted to do since putting it in 5 years ago.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/modified-the-trivet-on-my-napoleon-1900p.90542/

I put a pot of ice cold water on it last evening, it had it right up near boiling within 15 minutes and it wasn't even a hot fire....

I plan on cooking on it all the time, now that I can get the pot to sit right on the stovetop. It should cook food kinda like a crockpot does, nice and slow. So I am expecting stews, ham and bean soup, chili, etc. should all be fantastic when cooked on top of the stove for hours. I may even do a couple eggs on it here in a bit, as there were still coals on it from the small fire I built last night (really didn't need a fire, but the kids and I outvoted the lady of the house!;)). So I threw on a couple small splits of white oak this morning, maybe I'll do some eggs/taters on it in a bit.

View attachment 74755 View attachment 74756

I like that. Do you get food splattering issues. I don't want staining. The other thing is, I don't want scratches on top of the stove, so I've been reluctant to cook directly on it.

Interesting that you can boil water.

We have a VC humidifying pot for the top. Only time it ever gets to boiling is when there is only a few millimeters of water left and it's all evaporating off. I wonder if it has to do with my stove or the design of the pot...?

As far as just those small camping pie/waffle makers....anyone use them on their stove??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Is your Encore black cast iron or enamel? If it is enamel, it will scratch the hell out of the surface even if you try to keep the pan on the griddle.

Either way, I would opt for some sort of trivet so the pan isn't resting on the surface of the stove.

Trivet....good idea. I should really pick one of those up...Does Wal-Mart have them?

As for the small waffle/pie makers....?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Trivet....good idea. I should really pick one of those up...Does Wal-Mart have them?

As for the small waffle/pie makers....?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Can't help you with the waffle/pie makers since I do not cook on my stoves.

Interesting that you can boil water.

We have a VC humidifying pot for the top. Only time it ever gets to boiling is when there is only a few millimeters of water left and it's all evaporating off. I wonder if it has to do with my stove or the design of the pot...?

As far as just those small camping pie/waffle makers....anyone use them on their stove??

Thanks

-Emt1581

Never tried that. Thought about cooking over the coals though. It depends on the stove top temps how well it will work

My wife does a lot of cooking on the Fireview. We have the little soapstone blocks (glove warmers and boot driers) that Woodstock sells and they are always on the stove if not being used. We bought some extras though so there is always a pair for sitting a pan on.

We've never owned a stove that you could not cook on.

My wife does a lot of cooking on the Fireview. We have the little soapstone blocks (glove warmers and boot driers) that Woodstock sells and they are always on the stove if not being used. We bought some extras though so there is always a pair for sitting a pan on.

We've never owned a stove that you could not cook on.

How much are those little soapstone pieces?

Looks like they have only the one size now and they are $8.00.

One hint. If you buy them, that the chain off so they will sit flat on the stove and not scratch it. I also would highly suggest buying 2 pair. They are wonderful. One thing I like is cutting wood in winter, I take an extra pair of gloves with me. Inside the gloves are a pair of soapstones. It is wonderful if your hands get cold and/or wet to be able to put on a pair of warm gloves!

Reactions: Lewiston
Status
Not open for further replies.