Anyone Garden?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
only time i ever had success with strawberries was in california, with 2-3 german shepherds in the yard full time.

My rottweiler loves tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, and potatoes. I have to watch him, he pulled nearly every carrot up one year before I caught onto him. Bell peppers are tough for me to grow with my northern exposure in NH so it was devastating when I found out he was picking and eating them two or three a day.
He's been disciplined enough now that he leaves them alone. I'll occasionally let him pick a cherry tomato or two if he's been good, always takes his time and picks a slightly under ripe orange one.
On the other hand he chases the crows and other beasts from the yard.

My compliments to your pup, he's learned to eat his veggies. My pup not allowed in the garden area or he'll just walk across the beds stepping on this and that. Then he gets that:" What is it Now?" look on his face when I tell him to get he blazes out. Know what I mean?

My rottweiler loves tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, and potatoes. I have to watch him, he pulled nearly every carrot up one year before I caught onto him. Bell peppers are tough for me to grow with my northern exposure in NH so it was devastating when I found out he was picking and eating them two or three a day.
He's been disciplined enough now that he leaves them alone. I'll occasionally let him pick a cherry tomato or two if he's been good, always takes his time and picks a slightly under ripe orange one.
On the other hand he chases the crows and other beasts from the yard.

our GS's were sentry dogs, they never had a interest in the garden patches. we didn't live in a very safe place, so often when we came home, we would go around the side of the house and let the dogs into the house from the back. They would be itching to go inside and patrol.

Started a beet harvest today. There are lots more where these came from.
IMG_1865web.jpg

Do you know what this baby flower bud is?
IMG_1863web.jpg
Hint, it grows in the banana belt.==c
IMG_1844web.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Adios Pantalones
That is some serious beaning.

Beets me, you never know what will turnip here.

Reactions: briansol
Now that is corny.

Reactions: briansol
Yup. Thyme to move on. Lettuce hope there's no more of this sage advice.

It's the bud of a pomegranate.

PeopleOfAr
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding.
Hey there! Thanks for dropping by PeopleOfAr! Take a look around and grab theRSS feed to stay updated. See you around!

Pomegranate, symbol of Armenia
Filed under: Culture, Folklore, Food, History, Mythology, Tradition9 Comments
October 22, 2012
For Armenians the pomegranate is one of the most recognizable symbols of the country. In Armenian mythology it symbolizes fertility and good fortune. It was a guardian against the evil eye. At weddings in Western Armenia, a bride would throw a pomegranate and break it into pieces. Its scattered seeds ensured that the bride would bear children. In Van, Armenian women who wanted to have a son would eat bread made from dough mixed with pomegranate seeds. Its importance is attested in historical Armenian manuscripts and stone carvings where it was used as a popular ornament. One of the most iconic Armenian art movies is that of Sergey Paradjanov named “The Color of Pomegranates”. In the film, the red pomegranate on a table with its wrinkled skin and fresh pulp stands out as an embodiment of the invincible soul of Armenia. Until the very day pomegranate is a commonly used theme in Armenian art and culture including cuisine. In fact, it has turned into a national cliché. Go to any art exhibition, and you’re sure to see two or three (or more) paintings where the pomegranate is featured. Souvenir shops are filled with ceramic, metal, and textile pomegranates and pomegranate-shaped knick-knacks. During weddings in Yerevan a small dried pomegranate called taratosik is given by a bride to unmarried guests as a blessing. After the horrid events of the Armenian Genocide many Armenian artists have used pomegranates as a theme in their lyrics and poems to describe a wide range of emotions, from suffering to hope, rebirth and survival of a nation.

In closing I would like to recite a traditional ending for Armenian fairy tales:

“Three pomegranates fell down from heaven: One for the story teller, one for the listener, and one for the whole world.”

Source: Armenian Food: Fact, Fiction & Folklore (2006) by Irina Petrosian & David Underwood

picture by: Russell Pollard

Nah, did that back in the 60's for personal use, but it's been a long time since I have indulged. My kids OTOH would probably love it if I did.

Mainly container gardening this year. It is going so well that I am switching over to all container gardening next season. I have lost about a third of the garden to fungus brought on by the high amount of rain. I have sprayed but there isn't much I can do when it rains once a day. The garden is also a couple weeks behind because of the weather. Seems to be kicking in now.

We do all of our herbs in containers and it works out pretty well. We're growing brussel sprouts for the first time this year and have some of those in containers as well. The container sprouts seem to be doing just as well as the gardens sprouts.

We tried to grow cumin this year and after seeding it three times just can't get it to grow. I'll try again next year and maybe use multiple containers with different types of soil.
I use a lot of cumin and hate paying for it.

I love my containers for gardening, some things (ones that like warmer roots tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, etc) really excel in them. Have found that cukes really don't like them and brussle sprouts were indifferent.
Easy to keep weeds under control too.

Cukes should do well in containers that are deep enough. Maybe try hugelkulture style? Try Sweet Success. It seems to be fine that way.

This looks promising: IMAG0723web.jpg

And this looks ridiculous! 8 ft tall and that is after I just gave it a haircut.
IMAG0719web.jpg

20140712_124257.jpg
Crazy 8' Holly Hock the better half has out back. Gotta look out the up stairs windows to enjoy the flowers.

Chickens found the blue berry bushes. Might be chicken stew for dinner....

20140713_085946.jpg

So the spoiled dog gets butternut squash in his dog food. He loves it cooked, raw, he begs for it. Gf has it growing, although there's not anything bugger than a golf ball on the vine, the dog picked up the scent of the leaves and burried his face in the leaves and then started eating the leaves. >>

Last edited:
anyone have raspberries??? While mowing the lawn the other day I noticed a row of raspberry bushes that have beautiful ripe berries. It was all grown in with tall weeds. Just wondering what is involved in raising them??? This is an old farm home we purchased. Finding all kinds of neat things.....found apple trees out back that are covered in bitter sweet

Yes, we've got 20 yr old plants that produce some great berries. See if you can identify the cane. Some bear in spring and some in late summer. We have the later, called Autumn Bliss. It doesn't take a lot to make them happy. Some composted manure and fertilizer plus weekly watering is all we do. Ours are trained between two posts which makes them easier to pick.

anyone have raspberries??? While mowing the lawn the other day I noticed a row of raspberry bushes that have beautiful ripe berries. It was all grown in with tall weeds. Just wondering what is involved in raising them??? This is an old farm home we purchased. Finding all kinds of neat things.....found apple trees out back that are covered in bitter sweet
we have a round patch at the corner of the property. I don't do anything except mow around it to keep it from spreading. Also mowed 2 walking paths into the middle so you can pick the berries. Fruit is ready anywhere from late June to late July (this year) depending on weather. We freeze some and eat alot. It all comes out at once during a 2-3 week period.

Status
Not open for further replies.