Anyone Garden?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from about two weeks ago. our little plot is about 25X50 or so.We should have cucumbers by the weekend and tomatoes in 2 weeks.

We did watermelon, cantaloupe, 3 kinds of tomatoes, squash, bell peppers habanero pepper, Jalapeno peppers, onions, beans, and about 100 ears of corn.

Our Ag science guy comes up to me a few weeks ago - "I have 5 of these 7' cherry tomato plants I need out of the greenhouse"
Tons of fresh Toms in May. Glorious.

IMAG4181.jpg IMAG4183_1.jpg

Reactions: billb3
This is from about two weeks ago. our little plot is about 25X50 or so.We should have cucumbers by the weekend and tomatoes in 2 weeks.
We did watermelon, cantaloupe, 3 kinds of tomatoes, squash, bell peppers habanero pepper, Jalapeno peppers, onions, beans, and about 100 ears of corn.
Very nicely done

Threat of frost last night had to cover everything.......even threw a couple logs in the stove :( Woke up to temps in the high 30's today......this is unreal!

Things are moving along nicely with the rain we have had.......only thing that has not really "popped" is the watermelon

Attachments

• garden.JPG
    garden.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 226
Got the corn in late, but it is picking up steam. Tomatoes are very happy. There are some 1-2" tomatoes on several plants.

IMG_2103web.jpg

They stand up well. These are about 10 yrs old.

Looking good John!

I tried some Power Pop tomato from Ball/Burpee which are a patio planter tomato and they are doing quite well.
IMG_0531.jpg

Our heat loving plants are doing well. We are getting big tomatoes, peppers and lots of eggplant. On the otherhand we've had some carrots bolt due to high temps. That's a first for us. Green beans are starting to come on now. Fruit trees are showing the stress of no rain. The fruit is smaller and a few weeks ahead of schedule.

yes, begreen, it has been very warm and dry for you guys out west.

My tomatoes are doing really well but I have had some blossom end rot on a few of the green tomatoes. I experimented with topping the plants after they got a foot above the cage and I'm hoping that didn't put the plant into too much stress. However, if I had not topped them, they would have grown too big and flopped over anyway. We'll see. I still have a lot of good green tomatoes...

My cherry tomatoe plant went absolutely nuts too. I have been cutting them back just about every week and they are still a good 4 feet tall!

Heading out in a few to pick the first batch of beans. Carrots are still looking good at this point.

Looking good - looks like a cherry tomato?
Yes, fairly tasty too. Excellent patio planter tomato so far.
IMG_0559.jpg

Celebrity:
IMG_0556.jpg

after two years of lost just about everything to blight it's nice to have healthy green plants.

Late plantings: more Celebrity, when the lettuce bolted it mostly all got pulled up and tomatoes planted here. It's in the shade after 1 so we'll see if I get tomatoes before Halloween and it snows.
IMG_0558.jpg

Cukes, eggplants, peas are starting to brown, green beans are getting picked. There's some yellow pear tomatoes and a couple tomatillo.
IMG_0557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking garden. And wow, green lawn. Haven't seen that in awhile. Our surprise crop this year has been cantaloupe. We have 7 ripening nicely on one plant . This was the year to plant them.

Here's another question I've been meaning to ask. With tomatoes, I've heard people refer to the "first set". In your (anyone reading) experience, how many "sets" should one expect from a plant?

Indeterminate tomatoes can have several 'flushes' or 'sets' of tomatoes. Some have waves and spurts of growth and flower setting. They eventually ripen following that initial growth. Starting at the bottom they ripen.
In theory they just keep growing, setting flowers and fruit until frost kills them.
Some can get 15 feet tall or long.
Determinates (for the most part) have a big growth period, set flowers and fruit and you have your crop and it's done. Even those that have an early flush of blooms and a later one at the top of the plant end up ripening pretty much all together over a short period of time. Most are about 3 or 4 feet tall, often called bushes rather than vines.

Hybrids can tend to stretch the rules.

You are topping your plants because the supports are not tall enough ?

Here's how our main garden is doing.
IMG_2148web.jpg huge cherry tomatoes this year

IMG_2149web.jpg Brandy Boys and Early Girls. We've already picked several.

IMG_2151web.jpg We're trying Italias for sauce tomatoes this year.

IMG_2152web.jpg Cantaloupes, peppers and eggplant

IMG_2154web.jpg Corn will be ready to pick soon

IMG_2156web.jpg It's been a warm summer and the heat loving plants are happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2153web.jpg
    IMG_2153web.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 180
Indeterminate tomatoes can have several 'flushes' or 'sets' of tomatoes. Some have waves and spurts of growth and flower setting. They eventually ripen following that initial growth. Starting at the bottom they ripen.
In theory they just keep growing, setting flowers and fruit until frost kills them.
Some can get 15 feet tall or long.
Determinates (for the most part) have a big growth period, set flowers and fruit and you have your crop and it's done. Even those that have an early flush of blooms and a later one at the top of the plant end up ripening pretty much all together over a short period of time. Most are about 3 or 4 feet tall, often called bushes rather than vines.

Hybrids can tend to stretch the rules.

You are topping your plants because the supports are not tall enough ?

Ahh, good to know. Thanks!

Yes, i started my plants too soon this spring and they were already 2-3 feet tall when I planted them so I had to top them as they grew a foot past my supports (I think they are 48" supports). The one plant that I started about 5 weeks before I put them out is doing great and I have not had to top it. I'm thinking if I wait longer, next year, to start them I won't have the issue. I was worried that they would droop over the supports and the branches would get damaged. Also, the Vegetable Gardener's Bible suggested topping as they grew over the top of the support. So far, I don't think it has had an adverse affect. The plant is still growing and I will likely have to top again in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.