Anyone good at plugging up a 3" pellet vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This hole was from a pellet stove straight thru the wall venting installation.

What is the best way to remove this eye sore?

I put some nice fire proof, and water proof Roxul insulation in and then a thin piece of plywood that I cut, on the inside wall and the outside wall.

Attachments

• 3InchPelletStoveThimbleHole1.jpg
    3InchPelletStoveThimbleHole1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 495
There are no extra pieces of siding in the attic or above the garage that can be used to make a repair?

If not, or the siding is faded and a new piece won't be a close match, do the best one can with matching paint with what's there and be happy with it.

pen

Yes, I already cut a round piece of some plywood and screwed it in. Very solid. then sealed the edge with silicone. There is extra siding in the garage, but it would be nice to add some hard foam to match what is around it. There is vinyl siding with rigid foam under it and on top of some wood clapboards. I do not need to duplicate the clapboards just use a thicker piece of foam to bring it out to put the matching vinyl on it!

On the inside a cut a strip of plywood and put that in the wall and then took the larger DT wallboard cut out and cut it smaller to screw into the round 3" venting hole. That worked out great since the wallboard is already painted the same color! Although I did have to add some spackle around the edge. There is some paint in the basement that is the same color for touch up. I did the same thing for the 2" OAK hole. That is even harder to do since getting my fingers in there is not as easy!

Home much do you charge for all that? ? ?

Plant a nice shrub in front of it, maybe a slickplant or sumthim' ...............

Good idea. This is on the front of the house! The new vent I installed is on the side of the house for better appearance. Also this vent was approx 24" from a casement window. It was lower than the window and perfectly in code with an OAK coming out the other side. However this corner of the house is up on a hill and when the window was open, smoke would easily blow back in! ! !

Therefore codes to me are a good guideline. I always take them into account and not to violate them, but I do go the extra mile to still make it safer whenever possible! The new vent terminal is on the side of the house much higher up and no windows at all close to it. Good to always do better whenever possible!

Hello

Did some more hole plugging today! ! !
If there was wood siding it may be easier to patch some in.

The inside wall came out really nice, it just needs some paint. My friend has some in the basement that is the same color. The 3" vent was plugged nicely by cutting the larger sheetrock down from the Selkirk DT hole. A scrap piece of sheet rock was used to cut the 2" round hole for the old COLD OAK air! This will paint up nice after a little sanding. :)

The outside is now all set for the vinyl siding. I glued a sheet of rigid foam in with RTV or liquid nails. There is extra siding in the basement they will finish it.

YouTube has a very nice video FYI on how to slip a piece of vinyl over as a great temporary fix using a utility knife and a pop rivet gun!

Another solution is to cut a piece of aluminum flashing and just screw it right in there. Nothing wrong with that, just a matter of how it looks. The aluminum flashing could then be painted the same color as the vinyl siding. A nice piece of Cedar Wood could also be painted and stuck in there too.

Then it is all done!

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 1,387
Reactions: vinny11950
How about a dryer vent or stove vent. just use the outside portion

How about a dryer vent or stove vent. just us the outside portion
The dryer vent would have to be the same size and then the flange that sticks inside the hole would have to be cut off?

The dryer vent would have to be the same size and then the flange that sticks inside the hole would have to be cut off?
Yes. generally there is a vinyl with am aluminum pipe that clips in...just don't use the aluminum. If its a lil small caulk it if it is a lot small install another "J" channel around it.. stove vents are a bit bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.