Anyone hauling firewood with a trailer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keyman512us

Feb 27, 2007
North Worc. CTY MA
The more you look at what's going on in this country...the more scary things get. You think the folks over at BI are a scary bunch...follow this guy...and his story:

http://www.dangeroustrailers.com/

They're out there gunning for us before we even get the wood to the stove!

All because this guy wasn't paying attention....typical!

I found out about this over at arborsite...the original post that started it, this guy is un-believeable the way he hi-jacked the thread. Just goes to show "You can't fight an intelligent battle against the un-armed":

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32114

(Web...sorry in advance for linking to another forum...but if this guy comes over here...geees)

BOLO...BOLO (Be on the lookout...) folks..

Yikes..... his site almost makes the BI folks look reasonable (remember I said ALMOST). and you have to love that attitude.... "YOUR trailer is dangerous.... it doesn't matter that I was driving with my head up my A--"

And for an example he pulls up too close behind a stopped trailer to show that you can't see the tail lights. Probably just like he was following the one he hit too close.

Paging Darwin! Lane 3! Darwin!, OH DARWIN!!

I'm aware of serveal states that require all loads covered. Some where any cover, even a flimsy pastic tarp will meet the requirement. It pays to know the reg's especially for folks that live near borders.

Also be careful if using a trailer you are not familiar with. I was using a friends trailer that was made to haul a bunch of ATVs. The trailer will have significant negative tongue weight if wood is just thrown in, as well as being overloaded if loaded full of green oak. Negative tongue weight will cause issues with sway once speed is achieved!

ATB,
Mike P

Everytime I haul a trailer I make sure the lights are working. Most of the pics I saw had lights that were not working.

I agree this guy has it out for trailers, but shame on the owners for not making sure their lights were functional.

Matt

I just hope the guy never finds out that people talk on cell phone while driving. It might put him over the egde.

Yikes..... his site almost makes the BI folks look reasonable (remember I said ALMOST). and you have to love that attitude.... “YOUR trailer is dangerous.... it doesn’t matter that I was driving with my head up my A--”

Harley..."You took the words right outta my mouth...that's what I was thinking." Glad to see I'm not alone. When I came across that whole story...I was thinking "Gee...I'm having a bad day, and as luck would have it...in my careless act of not paying attention to the road...BLAM". I feel bad for the guy...but like the folks over at BI...I'm guessing that even when wrong..."they aren't 'big enuff' to admit it". This guy obviously is the type to say "Naagh...it's not my fault...it's the other guys fault for not having a big orange billboard on the back".

Everytime I haul a trailer I make sure the lights are working. Most of the pics I saw had lights that were not working.

I agree this guy has it out for trailers, but shame on the owners for not making sure their lights were functional.

Matt

Matt: Kudos to you! I agree...BUT:

Trailer lights? While I'm not going to "condone breaking the law"..."I'm a country boy"...as such I regard ALL trailers to have non-functioning tailights...and treat them with the same respect as a simple hay trailer with only a SMV orange triangle. Country roads aside...if it's on the "highway" (freeway or interstate) it better have working tailights. "On the back roads" A little courteousy, paying attention, and patience would go a long way. Not every ball rolling out into the street...or Bambi darting out of the woods is painted bright colors or has tail lights. The trailer guy "Should thank God for making him slam into that trailer" instead of ^itching about it!
If he is that much of a distracted/un-skilled driver...I'm glad it was a trailer and not some kid chasing a rolling ball. I think the judge drove that point home when he went to court.

My favorite saying: "Behind a rolling ball...comes a running child" - Painted PSA on the back door of Crystal Motor Freight trailer trucks.

Iagree, I didn't mention the tape thing because that seemed over the top. And I agree with you on the just stay back a few car lengths from the guy with the trailer and everyting will be ok... That seems to be common sense... But troubleshooting a trailer light ain't rocket science.

Heck when pulling a trailer, I stay many more car lengths back because the brakes have so much more work to do. It's just not worth it to tailgate anybody.

Matt

This is just typical of the larger trend in today's society for people to be unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions. "I screwed up, so it must be your fault."

It's just maddening to me that grown men and women today can't simply admit that they screwed up and there were consequences. I was brought up to stand up and take the blame when I did something wrong. You see it in so many areas of society today. I spilled hot coffee in my lap and it hurt.... I ate too many french fries and now I have heart trouble.... I stuck my hand in a running snow blower and lost a few fingers.... I over extended myself on my credit cards and now I'm broke.... I was not paying attention and ran into the back of a trailer.... So it must be your fault.

A big contributor to the problem is a growing number of unscrupulous lawyers out there who want to pin the blame on someone with deep pockets so they can make a buck. I'm not condemning the legal profession or all lawyers; you all know the ones I mean. They rush to the side of a moron like this and tell them that this terrible tradgedy wasn't their fault and that they should have something coming to them because they were wronged.

There are legitimate circumstances where someone else is at fault and in those cases, they should stand up and admit it.

I'll drop down off of my soap box for now; thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

"Life's tough, get a helmet"

Status
Not open for further replies.