Anyone have a insert install tutorial? I'm about to give up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
I've got a nice stove picked out and what I feel is a very fair price. The only thing holding me up is the cost of installs IF they are even willing to do it which most are not unless they sold it to me. I've gotten 2 bids of 1000 and 1500 to help me install a insert. FORGET IT. So, unless I can find some help on the actual install process, I'm just gonna forgo the stove. I can't afford another 1000-1500 tacked on to the price of the stove and liner itself, nor would I willingly pay that.

Now I'm not an idiot...not always anyways but I do need some detailed help on this. I've left some messages for a few respected handymen in the area, but we'll see. My search on youtube turned up nothing. Anyone else have any ideas? Like "inserts for dummies" or something like that?

It can be a one person job, I have done it twice one with a six hundred pounder and then a 455 pound one, but it is definitely a two or three person job. Your knees will thank you for bringing help.

The best "how-to" you will find is in the manual for the stove. They all tell you step by step how to install the insert and virtually all manufacturers have them available online. Which one are you thinking of buying?

As to the liner installation we can point you to some sources for that info and/or walk you through the steps here. A bunch of us have done it and our houses are still standing.

BrotherBart said:
It can be a one person job, I have done it twice one with a six hundred pounder and then a 455 pound one, but it is definitely a two or three person job. Your knees will thank you for bringing help.

The best "how-to" you will find is in the manual for the stove. They all tell you step by step how to install the insert and virtually all manufacturers have them available online. Which one are you thinking of buying?

As to the liner installation we can point you to some sources for that info and/or walk you through the steps here. A bunch of us have done it and our houses are still standing.

Napolean 1402 is the one I'm looking at. I'll search for the manual but the manuals sometimes aren't prepared for those less in the know than I. Or at least thats my opinion. How on earth did you install a 455 or 600 lb stove my yourself? I know my dolly can help me get it to the fireplace but how do you move it into place???

Question. How do you attach the liner to the vent hole on the top of the insert, isn't the insert itself in the way or is there room because the surround is not there?

I can't imagine the liner is all that hard. Just slide it down the chimney and attach it to the top of the stove right? I assume it attaches to the top of the fireplace cap with some screws.

tlhfirelion said:
would this be considered a good tutorial for the liner install?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

That is an excellent tutorial for a tee equipped liner installation. They make it look easier than it is and you can't hear the guy cursing all the way through it but it shows the steps pretty well.

BrotherBart said:
tlhfirelion said:
would this be considered a good tutorial for the liner install?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

That is an excellent tutorial for a tee equipped liner installation. They make it look easier than it is and you can't hear the guy cursing all the way through it but it shows the steps pretty well.

lol...if I'm not cussing at some home improvement project, something if very wrong. :)

What is the usual hang up with this liner project? I would imagine the part that is the problem is sliding it down the chimney. I can't' imagine it goes down that easy.

tlhfirelion said:
Napolean 1402 is the one I'm looking at. I'll search for the manual but the manuals sometimes aren't prepared for those less in the know than I. Or at least thats my opinion.

The manual will tell you what you need to do.

How on earth did you install a 455 or 600 lb stove my yourself? I know my dolly can help me get it to the fireplace but how do you move it into place???

Two words. Pallet jack.

Question. How do you attach the liner to the vent hole on the top of the insert, isn't the insert itself in the way or is there room because the surround is not there?

A liner adapter that will come with the kit instead of a tee. There should be enough room without the surround if you don't buy an insert that is too big for your fireplace. Looks at the dimensions in the manual. The manual is your friend. Also it is the Bible for you permit inspector. He/she/it is going to require it to be installed by the manual.

I can't imagine the liner is all that hard. Just slide it down the chimney and attach it to the top of the stove right? I assume it attaches to the top of the fireplace cap with some screws.

According to how much space you have around it in the tiles it can be easy. Or a a monumental PITA. What are you calling "the fireplace cap?

BrotherBart said:
tlhfirelion said:
Napolean 1402 is the one I'm looking at. I'll search for the manual but the manuals sometimes aren't prepared for those less in the know than I. Or at least thats my opinion.

The manual will tell you what you need to do.

How on earth did you install a 455 or 600 lb stove my yourself? I know my dolly can help me get it to the fireplace but how do you move it into place???

Two words. Pallet jack.

A liner adapter that will come with the kit instead of a tee. There should be enough room without the surround if you don't buy an insert that is too big for your fireplace. Looks at the dimensions in the manual. The manual is your friend. Also it is the Bible for you permit inspector. He/she/it is going to require it to be installed by the manual.

According to how much space you have around it in the tiles it can be easy. Or a a monumental PITA. What are you calling "the fireplace cap?

Geesh now I have to find a pallet jack! lol. I swear thi stove had better heat me out of my house for all the trouble it's causing me! I have an 8" black chimney pipe in there currently so I assume I would get the 6" flex pipe? I'm getting quoted a price of 14 bucks a foot for my 15' chimney, fair price? I guess it can go up in price depending on something else?????

A case of beer for two friends is cheaper than a pallet jack. It sounds like this is going into a pre-fab zero clearance fireplace? If so you need to follow Napoleon's instructions carefully regarding HT rated liner and modifications to the fireplace.

Here is your manual.

http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Tech/installation_manuals/EPA.pdf

BrotherBart said:
A case of beer for two friends is cheaper than a pallet jack. It sounds like this is going into a pre-fab zero clearance fireplace? If so you need to follow Napoleon's instructions carefully regarding HT rated liner and modifications to the fireplace.

Here is your manual.

http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Tech/installation_manuals/EPA.pdf

I have that bookmarked but what do u mean HT liner? You mean high temp liner? What portion of the manual or install r u referring too? Thanks for your help!

Page 8. Installation Into A Factory Built Fireplace. Read every word having to do with installing the insert.

I dont know why its so expensive!My dealer which i bought the stove from charged $450 for the install which took a few hours.It looks like unless you get it done from the dealer which you bought from its going to cost more that 2 times what the dealer would charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.