Anyone have a picture of their first Car!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine bought a Yugo when they first came out, drove it a few times, I remember driving on the Highway and flooring it, sounded like the pistons would fly out the motor.

Only kiddin Deltothet....bet your a beemer type of guy....or maybe a benz........no an Audi......your an Audi guy....gotcha pegged....just wanted to getcha attention with the yugo...I actually wanted one...when I was 16 test drove one with the father....did not get it but thought it was "cute"...

GAMMA RAY said:
Only kiddin Deltothet....bet your a beemer type of guy....or maybe a benz........no an Audi......your an Audi guy....gotcha pegged....just wanted to getcha attention with the yugo...I actually wanted one...when I was 16 test drove one with the father....did not get it but thought it was "cute"...

Actually....now on 17 years of Saabs....all with 5 spd...all with heated seat (damn I do love heated seats)...next car will probably not be, cuz they dont make a 93 hatchback anymore...drummer in my band is the beamer guy....just got his 335 with the twin turbo....has cool LEDs that come on in the door handles, very spiffy.
I lost respect for Audi when they built the Fox...same same as the VW...Fox? How lame, couldn't they give it a different name at least? Would sorta like to get an Ariel Atom...looks like fun car.

I dig heated seats...warms me bum.....yes.....my civic has them.....use them till July.... :zip:

Very cute Loon.....you have a baby face.....your chic does too!!!!

My first car was a 62 Cutlass that had no rear bumper and lots of Bondo. My older brother took me to buy it from his friend for $80. Musta been about 1970. His friend also had a 64 LeMans convertible that I wanted, but didn't have the $300.

Good ole slant-6 Could run 'em dry - no oil, no water, and still get ya where ya needed to go.
My O-Ma had the slant in her '74 Nova Hatchback - just wouldn't die.

My first was - hold your ears and cover your eyes - a '78 Rabbit Diesel.
Could go a month before fueling - all 10 gallons of it! Wish I had it today!!

PJF1313 said:
Good ole slant-6 Could run 'em dry - no oil, no water, and still get ya where ya needed to go.
!

I used to check the oil sometime after the low oil light came on and it had no oil pressure. Fill'er up and good to go another 1500 miles. :lol:

So, you where another one that just changes the filter once a year ;-)

EDIT - no too shabby for a Guberment Motah product made by union laborers in the US (O.K. I will take the rest to the 'Can)

PJF1313 said:

slant six is a mopar engine...not gm......would have taken quite a bit to get it into a 74 nova
we always said that "the slant six got so tired, it just leaned over"!

yooperdave said:
PJF1313 said:

slant six is a mopar engine...not gm......would have taken quite a bit to get it into a 74 nova
we always said that "the slant six got so tired, it just leaned over"!

No Way :sick:

I guess I better get my head "straight"

I ALWAYS thought that the slant-6 was a chevy!! The I-6 was MoPar!

O.K then, either my brain is TOTAL shut down (12+ Y.O. Redbreast) or I'm loosing it!

Coming to my scenes - My Mother had the straight 6 in her 66 Nova. I guess (ADMIT) I am wrong. I was young, and I KNOW my OMa had a Chevy Hatchback with the 6. I had to ride the bicycle 10 miles for the "extra" two plugs for my father to do the tune-up.

I am the "first" in the family to have a "V-8"; an '01 318 Dodge 1500 P.U. then.

First was a '56 Packard Clipper. Great road car and awesome in the snow. This car had gobs of future technology; 352 OHV V8, 2 speed torque convertor, self-leveling torsion bar suspension. Whatta tank. Mine had this paint scheme, but didn't look nearly as nice as this one. Still, it was super low mileage and a great car.

Attachments

• DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 405
Jags said:
No pic, but the first car was a 74 dart. Slant 6 and all. It wasn't very fast, but it sure was slow.

Mine was a 73 Valiant. Same car. Same slant 6. I could move that thing! Didn't corner great though :lol:

First car 79 z28 red 4 speed, No pics. Sold it after 157k for 2500.00 in 1995 when my first daughter was born. Feel like the price was more than it was worth at that time.

51 ford pu, V-8 flat head, oil bath air cleaner. cantankerous generator & voltage regulator. No key, removed tumblers
from the ignition sw & started with screw driver. Fenders bon-do'd. 3 speed on the column.
not mine in pic, mine all 4 fenders were painted black & not as wrinkly free.

Attachments

• 1951-ford-pickup-1.jpg
    1951-ford-pickup-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 426
Classic first car, 1970 Buick Wildcat Convertible.
Brown in color, black interior.
455-4bbl, Big beast.

Have old photos, don't know how to post them.

This isn't a picture of mine but it's the same thing. I might be able to scan a picture in if I can dig them up.

85 Ford Mustang GT, black exterior, gray interior, 5 speed, last year for a carburetor,(automatic cars had CFI) first year for a hydraulic roller camshaft and forged pistons. The car was exactly what I wanted, I will own another one just like it someday. I'm on my 5th fox bodied Mustang since the 85, I've owned the current one since 2002.

Attachments

• 85 GT.jpg
    85 GT.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 554
PJF1313 said:

EDIT - no too shabby for a Guberment Motah product made by union laborers in the US (O.K. I will take the rest to the 'Can)

I ain't talk'in bout no GM product - slant 6 - MOPAR. :coolgrin:

Hmmm . . . first car? A seemingly easy question . . . but not sure what I would say is my first car.

First car I learned to drive and often used was a 19__ Dodge Aspen . . . I don't remember too much about this car other than it was a piece of junk. Rusted out so badly that my Dad used Bondo and some of my Mom's old bed sheets to fabricate front fenders . . . and he added in a manual choke so you would have to start out with the choke pulled out and then gradually ease it in after you took off down the road.

My first official car I bought from a guy who built cars out of junked cars was a 1987 chocolate brown Subaru GL hatchback. It had selectable 4WD and with studded snow tires would go anywhere and it just would not die . . . I know it smashed into at least three deer with three different drivers on separate occasions and went through at least four different owners before the kid who bought it off my father wrapped it around a tree. My only two issues were the looks (it looked like a melted chocolate bar) and the serious lack of any get up and go . . . going up hill was a real struggle for this car.

I ended up trading that car with my Dad for his 1981 Chevrolet Malibu which was a serious step up in power as this was a former Maine State Police cruiser which had the 350 V-8 and heavy duty suspension. I loved this car and honestly this is the one car I wish I could own again . . .

First car I bought from an actual car dealer -- one with actual car payments -- was a 1992 Jeep Wranger YJ . . . had a love hate relationship with that vehicle. Loved it in the Summer with the hard top off and it was fun to drive off road . . . but in terms of reliability it was a hunk of poo . . . I broke so many things on that car . . . things that I've never heard of anyone ever breaking . . . heat was near non existent . . . no storage and the ride was just one step below a horse drawn buckboard . . . power was just marginally better than the old Subaru GL.

No actual pics . . . but here are some pics of the cars that came close to what I had. The pic of the Malibu is a dead ringer for my old car . . . the Jeep is pretty close (minus the top -- I had a black one -- and the cat.)

Attachments

• Subaru.jpg
    Subaru.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 480
  • ChevyMalibu.jpg
    ChevyMalibu.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 477
  • Jeep_Wrangler_YJ.jpg
    Jeep_Wrangler_YJ.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 465
Jags said:
PJF1313 said:

I ain't talk'in bout no GM product - slant 6 - MOPAR. :coolgrin:

Ahh, the leaning tower of power. Never owned one but a friend did. Almost bulletproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.