Anyone have any experience with those passive Ecco Fans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned one and it was useful in that I could tell how hot the stove was burning from across the room by how fast the blade was moving. However in terms of moving heat they really don't do much (I didn't expect it to do much really, I just like gadgets). The convection/radiant heat off of a typical stove just overwhelms the amount of air circulation the fan can provide. I bought a stirling motor powered fan from http://www.thermalengines.com/ and it works better, but again it moves a negligible amount of air. I like stirling motors and enjoy watching the fan which is why I bought it.

If you need a blower for your stove to move serious heat I'd just get one from the manufacturer that is spec'd to work with your unit.

A friend of mine is a distributor for those fans. He brought me one over and it worked very nicely. However, I needed more umph and bought the blower kit.

Tried one and sent it back. Doesn't move enough air to make it worthwhile. Only a gadget for a conversation piece. Might be ok if you had a wood stove in a tent though as you wouldn't need to move much air there.

Status
Not open for further replies.