Anyone have experience w/ a Napoleon 1600C?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie21

Apr 7, 2008
New Jerz
No one has rated it yet. We are seriously considering purchasing one, so if anyone has any advice about that, my ears are open. Thanks!

The 1600C is a great stove and the only one in the Napoleon line that can use a screen kit and run it with the doors open. I have installed a few of them and the only negatives I have found are that the rear clearance is quite large and the firebox does not have alot of capacity when compared to the 1100C.

Welcome and thanks for the comments fs64. What part of Canada do you hail from?

I have to disagree. My next door neighbor bought a 1600C, and as soon as I looked at it, I had my doubts. As soon as he fired it up, problems began. Biggest problem was it would not burn with the doors closed. Stack temp dropped to below 250 degrees, and fire slowly died. Dealer, (a major Napoleon problem; anyone can sell them)
said wood was too green. We tested wood.....less than 12 per cent moisture. I sent a request to Napoleon, describing installation and chimney dimensions......they said chimney had to be lined. $$$ later, dealer lined chimney. But, the stove still cannot hold a stack temp of 300 degrees, and the longest "burn", which is more like a smolder, is 3 1/2 hours, during which little heat is produced. Dealer has no clue as to why.
I have 3 observations.
1. The air path into the stove is needlessly complex. There is never a direct air path available to keep the fire going. I runs great if you open the ash door, but that's a
forbidden in the owners manual, and the wood disappears if you do that.
2. The stove is small. It cannot hold enough wood to heat a large room overnight. It's great to look at, but if your looking for serious home heat, run from this stove.
3. Napoleon will sell these to anyone. My friends "dealer" has no real knowledge of stoves or wood burning.....just a store and brochures.

I'm sure there will be defenders of this stove, but I've burned wood for 25 years, and see no way this model can be seriously considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.