1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone have experience with non elec stove??

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mikkeeh, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Ohio

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Seems to come up every month or so. Low feed rate still eats a lot of pellets.
  3. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
  4. pelletdude

pelletdude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    This Gravity feed stove is awesome. Yes it does eat a little more in the way of pellets but for not using electricity and not having any maintenance including blower motors, ignitors, or auger motors you cant go wrong. Great Price and a five year warranty. Lots of heat we have it buring in our shop.

Attached Files:

5. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    what is the actual company and name brand of the unit?
  6. pelletdude

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    Wiseway Pellet Stove Model GW1949 UL and EPA Approved.
    briansol likes this.
  7. briansol

Loc:
    central ct
    pelletdude likes this.
  8. pelletdude

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
  9. briansol

Loc:
    central ct
    Maybe in my next house.... I really don't want an ugly over-the-roof height chimney showing.
  10. bill3rail

bill3rail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    LI, NY
    I would love to lose the electric and maintenance of the normal pellet stove.
    For $1800.00 it is not worth it!
    If I bought that one, I would also reduce my time spent in the pellet mill...

Bill
  11. briansol

Loc:
    central ct
    The price isn't bad... but yes, it's more than a standard wood stove.

It's still half what I paid for my stove.
    pelletdude likes this.
  12. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I believe Breckwell also makes a non-electric pellet stove...the Monticello IIRC
  13. Bioburner

Loc:
    West central Mn
    If Brickwell makes electric models for $1500 and under, what will the entry point be for the Monticello? Have to check out the local farm store who's is area distributer. 6 inch exhaust!.
  14. briansol

Loc:
    central ct
  15. MountainSean

MountainSean Credo Quia Absurdum

Loc:
    NW Montana
  16. Bioburner

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Certified electrician? No electricity in the stove.sss.
  17. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Burning Hunk

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    The Breckwell SPG9000 seems to be selling for around $2400. I've never actually seen the Wiseway unit, but it looks interesting. Just wondered if anyone had any real experience with them.
  18. pelletdude

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    Speak with Dee at Gravity Feed Pellet Stoves in Vermont, she has burned this stove for a year. We burn in in our shop. Love it and I don't see the pellet usage like someone posted earlier. Lots of heat and did i say QUIET!
    http://gravityfeedstoves.com/
  19. mik_kane

mik_kane Member

Loc:
    NEPA Poconos
    Wiseway Pellet Stoves Demonstration Full Version

20. mikelcan

mikelcan New Member

Loc:
    Oly Pen, Wa
    I just had the Wiseway stove installed yesterday and will have two tons of pellets delivered today. I did a test burn last night and besides burning off the paint things went well. It is still warm enough here that I can not talk to the actual performance of the stove under winter conditions.

For a little background. I moved into this house in July 2012. It is an older (1950ish) house that has some insulation but not to today's standards. It also has electric baseboard heat as the only heat source. Luckily I live in an area (Olympic Peninsula in WA state) with relatively cheap electric cost ( 6.7 cents per KWH). However when power is out I have no heat source. I was looking into both pellet stoves and wood stoves last fall but did not buy for various reasons. This summer I went to the local county fair and one of the stove places had the Wiseway stove set up and running at the front of the tent. I liked the "industrial art deco look" and could feel the heat from several feet away.

For my first burn it seemed to take forever to light, however my clock showed 3 - 4 minutes and it was at 300 degrees and I was putting the primary burn chamber door back on. Within 5 more minutes the stove showed > 700 degrees. I let it burn on high for an hour and a half then set it to low and let it burn for 2 more hours. At that time I put it back to high and shut off the pellet supply. It burned for about 35 more minutes. It is suggested that if you can set it up outside with at least 8 foot of chimney to do the initial burn in and get rid of the paint fumes. I paid to have the stove installed and could not do that so I had to have the house wide open during that burn. I will do another one this evening with doors and windows open again. Hopefully that will finish the curing of the paint.

I will post pictures and give another update after I actually use the stove for some heat.

Mike
    pelletdude, smoke show and briansol like this.
  21. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Can it be installed in a home with an 8 foot ceiling? I hear it needs more vertical space?
  22. imacman

imacman Guest

There will be many members on the forum who will be very interested in how well it actually heats your home when it gets cold. Keep us up-to-date.

You might want to start another thread later with the name of the stove in the title....something like "Wiseway non-electric stove updates"
    pelletdude likes this.
  23. pelletdude

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    Not sure about the 8' but the air doesn't get that hot above the stove. It is definitely radiant going forward and very warm. Interested to see how well it heats the 2,000 sq ft hearth shop.
  24. imacman

imacman Guest

Who did you hear that from? The unit is 52" high, so there's almost 4' to the ceiling in a standard home.
    pelletdude likes this.