Anyone have such a charcoaled Harman ash box compartment? -see pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Working on this P61-2. The outside is in good shape, but inside the ash box compartment is so charcoaled? Could there be a fire in the ash box compartment? How could this happen? Stove was in a nice finished basement.

Pic 1 - This is how it looks after vacuuming and wire brushing! Starting in with the die grinder again!
Pic 2 - The only way to smooth it out is with the die grinder! After all the die grinding!

Attachments

• P61-2--1.JPG
    P61-2--1.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 181
  • P61-2--2.JPG
    P61-2--2.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 152
Could be the pic but that looks like a poorly maintained ash box area that was damp and allowed to rust....JMO

Could be the pic but that looks like a poorly maintained ash box area that was damp and allowed to rust....JMO

Agree, It was in a finished basement but it could be damp in the spring time. I will have to re-do the fire box. The outside is in good shape though.

Question for you Don, say you were a chimney sweep and your job was clean out a chimney and fireplace...would you pimp out their firebrick in the fireplace or maybe file down grout with a nail file? Seems like you go the extra mile for many areas of the stove where your efforts, as noble as they are, contribute about nothing to the function or aesthetic of the stove. Seriously,why do you grind the inner walls of the ash pan? Seems like there areas that could use more of that effort. Just a question.

Question for you Don, say you were a chimney sweep and your job was clean out a chimney and fireplace...would you pimp out their firebrick in the fireplace or maybe file down grout with a nail file? Seems like you go the extra mile for many areas of the stove where your efforts, as noble as they are, contribute about nothing to the function or aesthetic of the stove. Seriously,why do you grind the inner walls of the ash pan? Seems like there areas that could use more of that effort. Just a question.

Going the extra mile, I guess is the reason I sell more stoves! Looks are very important. People are very impressed when they see the condition of my stoves. Just the other day a customer pulled out a flash light and examined my stove inside and out. He already passed on someone else's stove due to rust. Needless to say he gladly purchased my stove and the only problem was, he had to explain to his wife on that 85 Deg F day, why he brought home a wood pellet stove and not an air conditioner! LOL

My question to you Scott is:
Would you go to the store and buy a dirty toaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.