1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

anyone heard of a wood general wood splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by RIDGERUNNER30, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIDGERUNNER30

RIDGERUNNER30 Member

Loc:
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Hey guys, found a wood splitter for sell the other day, a guy my dad knows got disable a few years ago and is not able to cut and stack wood anymore he was selling his buckstove and a 36ton, wood splitter with a 10 horsepower engine on it, The splitter looked like it was brand new he said he only use it a few times, the brand name on it is a wood general. has anyone heard of this brand, he said it came from tractor supply, on the side of the h-beam it is rated for industrial, and commercial use, it is built very strong, you can split vertcial and hozi, he wanted 700 for the splitter so i took a chance and got it, he told me that the splitter costed about 2100 dollars four years ago, do you guys think this was a good deal. I have split a few rounds of maple with it works like a dream.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Never heard of the name but I've see junk splitters go for 700. By the sounds of it you did just fine!
  3. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    If it is in the shape you say, you got a very good deal. But of course, no one will believe you until we see pictures!
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    RIDGERUNNER30....don't tell me you haven't bought that splitter yet. Hell ya that's a good deal.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I'd say he took the plunge.

6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I do remember seeing them at our "Farm and Fleet" stores, but that was several years ago, and only for a brief period in history. If I remember correctly (and that ain't no guarantee) they were very heavy built splitters. I think it was a 5" or maybe even a 5.5" cylinder on them.

I would say you did real good on that buy. NOW GET TO SPLITTIN'.
  7. RIDGERUNNER30

RIDGERUNNER30 Member

Loc:
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I will try to post some pics soon, it is built like the northstar wood splitters that northern tool has , I drain the gas, replace the spark plug, put a new fuel line and filter on it, going to replace the hyd oil and filter to be safe, the guy had not use it in over two years, I have split a truck load of maple with it without any problems.
  8. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    If you have already been using it (and all seems good) I don't think I would rush into replacing the Hydro fluid. Unless it look dirty, the new filter I would do however.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.