anyone heard of a wood general wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys, found a wood splitter for sell the other day, a guy my dad knows got disable a few years ago and is not able to cut and stack wood anymore he was selling his buckstove and a 36ton, wood splitter with a 10 horsepower engine on it, The splitter looked like it was brand new he said he only use it a few times, the brand name on it is a wood general. has anyone heard of this brand, he said it came from tractor supply, on the side of the h-beam it is rated for industrial, and commercial use, it is built very strong, you can split vertcial and hozi, he wanted 700 for the splitter so i took a chance and got it, he told me that the splitter costed about 2100 dollars four years ago, do you guys think this was a good deal. I have split a few rounds of maple with it works like a dream.

Never heard of the name but I've see junk splitters go for 700. By the sounds of it you did just fine!

If it is in the shape you say, you got a very good deal. But of course, no one will believe you until we see pictures!

RIDGERUNNER30....don't tell me you haven't bought that splitter yet. Hell ya that's a good deal.

savageactor7 said:
RIDGERUNNER30....don't tell me you haven't bought that splitter yet. Hell ya that's a good deal.

I'd say he took the plunge.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
he wanted 700 for the splitter so i took a chance and got it...

I do remember seeing them at our "Farm and Fleet" stores, but that was several years ago, and only for a brief period in history. If I remember correctly (and that ain't no guarantee) they were very heavy built splitters. I think it was a 5" or maybe even a 5.5" cylinder on them.

I would say you did real good on that buy. NOW GET TO SPLITTIN'.

I will try to post some pics soon, it is built like the northstar wood splitters that northern tool has , I drain the gas, replace the spark plug, put a new fuel line and filter on it, going to replace the hyd oil and filter to be safe, the guy had not use it in over two years, I have split a truck load of maple with it without any problems.

If you have already been using it (and all seems good) I don't think I would rush into replacing the Hydro fluid. Unless it look dirty, the new filter I would do however.

Status
Not open for further replies.