Anyone here have a Charmaster furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Hello all,

Does anyone here have a Charmaster Wood Controls furnace? I'm about to connect mine to the duct work and start using it, but I wanted to get some feedback and maybe a few tips before starting. I'll ask more if someone here responds.

Cheers,

DeanB

Is there a place to grill burgers on the Charmaster?
Mine had a 27" round grill and held 15# of charcole.

Eric - Ok I will be in touch here. I got the power-outage package, yes. Its going in as an add-on to my electric heat-pump system. I'm planning to install it in series downstream (down wind?) from the electric furnace (Trane), and use the electric furnace's blower (which is 1HP) to do the blowing. I had a huge discussion on google about this, if you're interested I will look it up (or you can just search on DeanBrown3D and Charmaster).

-Dean

You will find series to be the smart choice for installation. Its the only legal way to connect a wood furnace to a furnace in Canada. It will extract more heat from the wood furnace, and its cool because when the blowers from the main furnace or air handler kicks on, its no different than a gas furnace but its cheap heat! One downfall is if the woodfurnace doesnt keep up with the heating demand, which it should just fine. The main electric furnace in your case tries to fire, and doesnt it may shut down the furnace therefore you lose the blower, and the unit overheats. It hasn't happened to me yet, but its just a thing to watch for. I seen your post about finding someone to install it and I say to that good luck. When the local HVAC guy came out here, it took a while for him to realize how my wood furnace was installed. Which I did myself it was parellel and I reinstalled itin series. Anyhow it was simple for me, 2 wires from my woodfurnace to my main LP furnace. You will just have to explain to them how the system will work. In your case you have a heat pump so Im sure its a little more involved. Good Luck!

laynes69 - it has a power outage package - basically a door that opens on the side of the furnace to flood the jacket with basement air. Its held shut while a voltage is applied, so in a power cut, it will open. I think it opens if it gets too hot also, but I am not certain about this, that's a good point.

Thanks

Dean

Thats nice, I have heard of that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.