1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone here know what mil pac sealant is?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by tubbster, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    The local stove shop never heard of it.

The Napoleon (boy, did the stove shop have an opinion on that!) stove recommends mil pac to seal the flue collar.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

I've heard of it. It's really messy stuff - imagine tooth paste made of dirt and tar. So I'd suggest placing newspapaer over your unit and hearth when using it, and when you put it on the flue, add it to the male parts so any extra goops inside the pipe instead of all over the outside.
    suprz likes this.
  3. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Well, NOBODY local had heard of it, and I needed to get the job done. I settled for Rutland stove cement, rated for 2000*.

Seems to me, If you are going to sell the corresponding venting kit with a stove, and it requires some weird unobtainium, it should be included with kit! Shame on them!

Hope it works!
  4. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Oh, BTW, Thanks R&D;. You are a valuable resource here!
  5. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Yeah sure - and I agree, its not a common type of sealant so they should have included it or spec'd a few others. I'd use RTV silicone on the outer pipe just to be sure it's sealed. The stove cement will harden and become brittle since it's so thin just like concrete would and after the pipe expands and contracts for several cycles the cement will break lose in places. So I'd use RTV on the outer pipe to be sure the pipe never leaks inside the house.

Don't just take my word for it though, call Jotuls customer service and ask them what else you can use. Sorry have to say that for insurance purposes....... :eek:hh:
  6. vindeta

vindeta New Member

Loc:
    ohio, usa
    where can I get milpac?
  7. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    If you are requesting this my guess is that you bought a mendota your dealer should be able to get it for you.
  8. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    I was told by Napoleon when I called them "Any dealer should have it".

Well, I called about 8 of them, and NADA. It only infuriated me, that all these dealers are installing the product AGAINST the required install instructions.

HEY NAPOLEON: IF YOU REQUIRE UNOBTAINIUM TO USE YOUR PRODUCT, YOU SHOULD INCLUDE IT WITH YOUR PRODUCT!
  9. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    i would not worry about it but pm if you want i can help
  10. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Sealers on a gas unit??? Are these mfgs in the dark ages? Snap the pipe on and go, that's how all the stuff we use works. Furnace/Stove cement is worthless, I have serviced many fireplaces with that crap on the first joint, 90% of it is laying on the burner pan after it gets brittle and falls off.
  11. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

If you can't find Mill-Pac, Rutland sells a product called Seal It Right which is about the same thing (withstands 800ºF temps and remains flexible). I am surprised no one in your area stocks Mill-Pac. Many appliance manufacturers have it in their installation instructions.
  12. Titus

Titus New Member

Loc:
    Bangor, Maine
    Some places carry it. The biggest problem you may have had in searching.. it has 2 "L's". Mill-Pac Black. My online searching revealed:

http://www.stove-parts.net/Mill_Pac_Black_High_temperature_sealant_p/15-1010.htm
    http://stores.thechimneysource.com/-strse-17)-Silicones-and-Cements/Categories.bok
    http://www.chimneycricket.com/chimney-repair-products.htm

Seems to be made, or repped, by:
    http://www.trocki-gordonsupply.com/millpac.html

I suspect that MILL-PAC BLACK is used as a standard "spec" item when writing instructions, but there are many high-temperature silicone sealants that will do as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.