Anyone in Canada have the Kitchen Queen WETT inspected?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahShoe

Sep 4, 2013
I am trying to find out what kind of hoops we are going to have to jump through to get this WETT inspected? I know that as far as the back clearance we are good, what I am concerned with is the "thermal" clearance they are requiring underneath. I can't find anything online as to what they might require, all of the sites that I have been to so far have said that "it's too complicated" to contact a WETT inspector. I know that we are going to need a hearth pad for the embers, but from what I have read it would seem that we also need that airspace oon the floor as well? We are planning on getting it inspected but would like to have all of our ducks in a row before we call someone and have to pay for their "advice".

Can anyone tell me what they have done?

Thanks

Have you asked the company? It seems to me they would be the obvious ones to ask.

I cant help you on your clearance issue but depending on where you live it shouldn't be to complicated to bring in a WETT inspector (inserting your location in your signature would be helpful). In my area several of the home inspectors are wett certified and are just a phone call away. Also your local wood stove dealer will have a list of inspectors to call if you cant find a home inspector. Our stove was installed by WETT certified installers. Our insurance company wanted to know if it was WETT certified but it also had to be inspected by the building inspector before we were cleared to use it.

I do have a WETT inspector actually, he is out of the country right now though LOL and we need to get this thing in sooner rather than later, so I was hoping to get a list of things that we would need to get the work done this week, then have them all assembled for when he gets back, and we can get it in, instead of having to wait for him to get back, then order in the stuff (because no one around here is going to stock it, and we are over an hour from the nearest town that might), and then wait for it to come in....

We did talk about it briefly before he left, and he said that we would have to wait for the stove to arrive to see how long the legs are because that will affect if it needs the thermal protection, or just radiant protection from the embers.

As far as asking the company it won't help because it is an uncertified appliance here in Canada; made in the US by the Amish, and their guidelines don't apply, so even if they said we only needed ember protection we would still have to go by the uncertified appliance rules for Canada, which I can't find online. Well the bottom clearance rules anyways. Everything that I have found says this is too complicated, ask a WETT installer.

I have also gotten conflicting information from my insurance company regarding whether it has to be professionally installed or just inspected. So we are hoping to save some money by having everything ready to go calling up the WETT guy (who also happens to be my brothers best friend growing up, and "help" him install it so that it goes faster but we can still say (honestly) that it was professionally installed.

We are in NW Ontario, and live in an unorganized township so there are no "building" inspectors around here.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.