anyone in ohio burning corn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstroke guy73

Dec 17, 2012
i live in the middle of corn country in ohio, near toledo. my stove burns both pellets and corn. someone gave me 3 bags of corn last year and it burns awesomelly hot. i want to burn corn, but the farmers last time i check want something like 7 $ per 50lb bag. what are you guys paying for them, i would like to buy bulk but dont know where to go. any info would be great.. go browns

You probably won't buy corn any cheaper than that right now...especially bagged. A bushel of corn is 56lbs and cash price here is roughly $6.90/bu. today. To buy at market price in bulk you'd need a grain wagon to dump into and haul home from the elevator or terminal.

Price is nearly double that in PA so i dont know of a single soul burning corn.

I burned corn for the first 3.5 years. I grow it but just too expensive to burn. Price would need to come down quite a bit as pellets are more work moving bags but a lot less ash and easier during the heating season.

i live in the middle of corn country in ohio, near toledo. my stove burns both pellets and corn. someone gave me 3 bags of corn last year and it burns awesomelly hot. i want to burn corn, but the farmers last time i check want something like 7 $ per 50lb bag. what are you guys paying for them, i would like to buy bulk but dont know where to go. any info would be great.. go browns

well I was actually going to help you until I read go browns, killed the deal for me...................

Wow I can remember getting corn 80lb bag for $1 that was about 12 years ago.

When I 1st got into this corn was cheap I'm thinking 125 / 150 a ton had to pick it up though did all the work farmer was almost an hour away but the corn was clean and really burnt hot ! Actually was cheaper and at the time a better product but as the saying goes we've come a long way baby !

Corn is (and will be for the forseeable future) almost double the price of pellets. You can thank all the "Green energy" wackos that think ethanol (corn) is the way to go, even though it gets poor fuel mileage in cars.....that's what is driving the price of corn up, IMO.

I tried corn.. Burns good in all my stoves. But the price is just not close to what I would pay on a regular basis.

Also be careful buying direct from a farmer. I have a few farmer buddies and some have much higher M/C in there corn. Corn above 12% is pretty high M/C. Get it around 8% and you'll be GTG.

BTW- I live east of you. At the tri point of Ashland, Lorain, and Medina Counties.

..... I have a few farmer buddies and some have much higher M/C in there corn. Corn above 12% is pretty high M/C. Get it around 8% and you'll be GTG......
8% MC is VERY low. Englander states that 11-12% MC is good for burning.

meh, as long as its below 15% it won't mold.

for 6 mo. or less storage.

8% MC is VERY low. Englander states that 11-12% MC is good for burning.

11%-12% is good. But 8% is Low M/C.

The lower the M/C the higher the BTU.

High M/C Corn = HUGE Clinker !!!

If it burns, run it, but I would prefer under 10%. My Fahrenheit has 10 different Fuel settings and will burn it all.

Here is a short video of the auto clean (top burn plate is already out and new fire is already being lit on it, while old fire is being extinguished. The back of the pot will push the ash/clinker out (twice) then top plate pulls back and new fire drops into clean pot) :)

The drier any fuel is, the hotter it will burn. Pellets included.

I am still burning corn I got a couple years age for 4.4o/bu. mostly in the Bixby backup stove. Waiting for another train or truck spill to suckup some more free fuel. I would have to have corn down to around $5/bu to compete with wood pellets. Trying now to track down beet pulp pellets.

I like it very well when running corn, pellets are a pain. Have the latest software update and corn burns like lp. Ran it 5 weeks without cleaning and it stopped because I forgot to empty puck bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.