Anyone in Ontario get Black Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Locust this and Black Locust that! Always a new thread featuring this wood...I want to burn some too damn it! :) Trouble is, we don't have it around here. I've seen it (I think) in the Sudbury region at a municipal park so I figure it's been planted, and it was very small. Folks in other parts of Ontario - are you finding BL where you are?

Jags said:
No black locust for you.

Your on the wrong side of the line. :lol:

I'm sure you wont be the first to rub it in! ;-)

Seriously though, I think it does grow in southern Ontario....just don't hear about it much on this side of the line!

Manitoulin Maples said:
Actually that shows it grows all through Ontario?

Yep - just not where you are. :lol:

Im in Windsor and I Just saved a half cord from the chipper on the gateway border progect. I went back to get more and the whole area was being clear cut and chipped by the biggest chipper I have ever seen. Brought a tear to my eye to see hundreds of cords of black locust, HL, oak, maple, apple, ash and others going to waste.

I've got about 15 cords of it in my shed for this year. Beautiful stuff to burn! Came off three HUGE trees my buddy took down last winter. He's got probably another 15-18 cords in his shed.

I've got a line on another 15-20 cords, dependent on the landowner having them taken down. Trees are 5' across at the base!

Eastern Ontario.

babzog said:
I've got about 15 cords of it in my shed for this year. Beautiful stuff to burn! Came off three HUGE trees my buddy took down last winter. He's got probably another 15-18 cords in his shed.

I've got a line on another 15-20 cords, dependent on the landowner having them taken down. Trees are 5' across at the base!

Eastern Ontario.

Wow! So Eastern Ontario has some bigger BL trees...are you around the Ottawa region? Hey that's only a 7 hour scrounge from here! :wow:

I have a nice 18 inch diameter BL in my back yard. It doesn't leaf until mid to end of May, the scariest "haunted looking" thing you ever saw. But once it leafs out then the flowers start and you can smell it all over the neighborhood, a real bee magnet. I usually have dozens starting on my lawn, soon after the blooms drop, that I have to run over with the lawn tractor. However, I have never tried to burn any black locust, must try it someday.

colin.p said:
I have a nice 18 inch diameter BL in my back yard. It doesn't leaf until mid to end of May, the scariest "haunted looking" thing you ever saw. But once it leafs out then the flowers start and you can smell it all over the neighborhood, a real bee magnet. I usually have dozens starting on my lawn, soon after the blooms drop, that I have to run over with the lawn tractor. However, I have never tried to burn any black locust, must try it someday.

Do you have any pics of this haunting backyard beast?

colin.p said:
Thats funny! I always thought to myself that a huge BL would be great in a horror movie, next to a sketchy house (without the leaves).

colin.p said:

Yup, they do have the "possessed" look about them. One of the tree we took down had a big honey bee nest inside... had a nice snack on the honeycomb. The bees awoke a few days later during a warm spell and they weren't at all happy - I was just glad we had finished all the splitting by then!

Manitoulin Maples said:
colin.p said:

Do you have any pics of this haunting backyard beast?

I will wait till the next full moon and take a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.