Anyone in the NY Hudson Valley, Newburgh area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenn68

Sep 26, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
What is your experience with running a pellet stove up here? Where do you shop for pellets? What do you pay?
Any recommendations for brands found locally? How many pellets do you go trough in a season?

zenn68 said:
What is your experience with running a pellet stove up here? Where do you shop for pellets? What do you pay?
Any recommendations for brands found locally? How many pellets do you go trough in a season?

I'm about 90 miles north of you & I burn a Harman P43 & as
most pellet burners find round these parts, winter consumption is 3-4 tons.
Great space heaters IF you keep them clean.
I burn Clean Fire & Clear Choice - both available from www.woodpellets.com for about $250 per ton (YMMV)

I am in Dutchess County - unfortunatly I find we have a limited number of choices of pellets and suppliers ,
and our prices are always atleast 10% higher than our Ct / Upstate neighbors. Lowes / Depot always have them
and you might get lucky and actually find a ton or two that hasn't been sitting outside. I have been buying from Tri-County Coal in Carmel
for a few years -their prices are usually competetive and have atleast 2-3 choices of pellets and offer delivery.

I'm in the Wallkill area. This is my third season burning pellets and I really love it. I have a Quadrafire MT Vernon AE and heat @ 2400 SQFT (75 degrees on Main floor and 69 degrees up stairs). I use @ 4 Tons per year and usually purchase my pellets from Otisville Hardware in Otisville,NY (They have a good deal on Lignetics) or from the Lowes in the Area if they have Pres-to-Logs (Made by the same company that makes Lignetics). I used to use about 800 Gallons of oil and keep the house at 68 degrees when we were awake and drop the temp to 60 degrees when sleeping or out of the house. Now we are at 75 degrees 24/7 and I only use 300 Gallons of oil per season to heat my basement and hot hater.

Hi there. I'm in the Hudson valley near Newburgh. Just sent you a PM about that stove on CL.

I buy from a number of pellet dealers. I have had good luck with Tractor Supply in Chester (IF they have AWF, Premier, or Lignetics), and the Tractor Supply in Highland did have Hardwood Heat (Hamer's) at the beginning of Sept. for $219.50....that was the best price I saw for good pellets.

Chimney Sweep Energy in Middletown had Energex Hardwood for $235. a while back.

PM me if you want the list of all the pellet dealers I found in the area.

I'm west of Albany. Last weekend I was in a local Lowes and they had "Somerset" pellets for 4.28/bag or 214.00/ton. Also offered a $25.00/ton discount if you bought a full ton. Based on some research on this site they implied "somerset" was a fairly good pellet so I bought a ton. How can you beat $189/ton??? I just hope they are as good as reported.

zenn68 said:
The Home Depot up by me (Newburgh) has StoveChow for I think $225 a ton. Is that any good.

Stove Chow (or Stove Crap as they are referred to by some) are somewhat of an unknown right now. Not much info on their burning characteristics yet, but I bought 4 bags at the Newburgh HD a few weeks ago (2 for me and 2 for Jay Takeman to test out when burning time comes).

Although the price is not terrible, it's not great either for an unknown pellet. I would NOT buy them in any quantity just yet.

Just to add to my post above, Tractor Supply in Highland still has the Hardwood Heat (made by Hamer's) for $219.50/ton.

This is probably the best deal in this area for good pellets.

unclbiki said:
just bought 3 tons of Stove Chow at Fishkill Home Depot....229 a ton plus a 65 dollar flat delivery fee.

Hope you've burned them before (recently) and liked them, as there are some not-so-good reviews about them. I bought 2 bags to test.

Good luck and make sure to report back on how you like them after heating season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.