Anyone into harvesting wild mushrooms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantheman300z

Burning Hunk
Dec 18, 2015
Northeast IN
So I walked out the front door to take the dog out and my yard is covered in mushrooms. They are liking all the rain we have gotten. I have done some research because I would like to know more about wild mushrooms but is anyone here into them as well? I would like to identify these. Can post a pic later today.

I remember hearing an account of a newspaper article about 30 years ago, about a man and his entire family found dead in their tents, on a camping trip. He was an expert and authority on wild mushrooms, and had apparently found some wild variety the prior evening, which they consumed believing they were something they were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert. But I like to keep an eye out for morels and hen of the woods. I want to get into growing edible mushrooms too.

Haha thanks Ashful I appreciate the advice.

7acres, I am in the same boat. I guess shiitakes grow great on white oaks which I have a lot of!

I stick to about 10 wild species that have no poisonous lookalikes. Stumps and logs are also fun to cultivate

https://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/1410914/

Try garden giant stropharia if you have a lot of wood chips.

Reactions: 7acres
I know of morels, hen of the woods and oysters.. I keep an eye out all the time when hiking, but have never found them :(

Saw some bright yellow ones the other day, not sure what they were, but wasn't about to take the chance and bite one.

I'll stick to my Scotch, beer, and bourbon. Mushrooms are just too exciting for me.

It's the Balvenie 18, tonight.

Except for the strophs I grow,I stay away from gill mushrooms, even ones I an identify as edible, as we have death caps and destroying angels our property. Gotta admit those are some cool names lol.
Chanterelles are commonly picked, but have been confused with jack o lanterns, a toxic species. Many of my students pick so.thing called leather backs that I haven't positively I.D'd in my area.

Last edited:
I stick to the ones on this website http://americanmushrooms.com/edibles.htm, plus oysters.
I grew up going on "mushroom hunts" with my father, looking for hen of the woods. Within the last few years, I guess I got old enough to have a taste for fungi, and I've eaten chicken mushroom and bear's head tooth several times, and I've come across morels, hens & black trumpets often enough (usually past prime). I really love the tooth mushroom (aka lion's mane) - has a lobster tail texture and mild flavor. I'm in the woods anyway, so picking up some choice grub is just an added bonus.

I usually get 3-4 lions mane a year, some oysters, chickens, morels etc. I haven't found an edible hen yet though. Always get to them when they are too old.:mad: I need to get better at boletes and lactaris

Status
Not open for further replies.