Anyone know how NSPS will impact corn and multi-fuel stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
The EPA's proposed regulations exempt corn stoves, just like coal stoves and fireplaces. But what about multi-fuel stoves? Will they be a thing of the past? My understanding is that you can't advertise a certified product to use a fuel that it hasn't been emissions tested for. The main problem would be companies making coal stoves, who say they work great with wood too, to avoid all EPA emissions regulations. Will the multi-fuel corn/pellet stove be a thing of the past? I hope not. Comments are due to the EPA on Monday, so any advice and insight appreciated before then. Thanks!

My 2 Harman P61 stoves are 78% efficient but I have them using Selkirk DT venting which makes them very efficient. I have seen more efficient stoves not work well with Selkirk DT venting. So will all this be history too?

Is the DT venting the twin air intake flue?
This is all we use and once the stoves are set right they pass the tests easily.
DT brings the burn air in a 3rd wall around the flue exhaust to warm the burn air. This greatly reduces the carbon build up in the burn pot. Also the p-series Harmans have no exhaust chambers to keep clean so the top and sides go to 500 Degs F and radiate heat like a wood stove does. They get more heat out of wood pellets then any other stove I have seen regardless of efficiency of the smoke!

Reactions: chickenman
It may be that multi-fuel stoves are history, unless the EPA allows Method 28 to replace pellets with corn, so that stoves and boilers can prove they can pass emission limits with corn. Otherwise, as far as I know, you can't advertise a unit to burn a fuel that it has not been tested for as of 2015. If the stove only uses corn, that will be fine and it will be exempt. But if a jurisdiction does not allow installation of exempt devices, then you can't burn corn there. In Vermont, they already have this problem and dealers aren't allowed to sell multi-fuel units, but under new NSPS this will be a national issue.

Hi John,
Our experience in Australia is that the only fuels which will pass our pm tests are pine pellets. So we test our multi-fuel stoves on pellets. We sell them as multi-fuel tested on pellets. The buyers can then burn whatever they like.
Cant see why your industry would be any different. Your new regulations look pretty good to me. It will improve some outdated models and remove the 35:1 exemption (if I am reading it right) which drives inefficiency IMHO.

It may be that multi-fuel stoves are history, unless the EPA allows Method 28 to replace pellets with corn, so that stoves and boilers can prove they can pass emission limits with corn. Otherwise, as far as I know, you can't advertise a unit to burn a fuel that it has not been tested for as of 2015. If the stove only uses corn, that will be fine and it will be exempt. But if a jurisdiction does not allow installation of exempt devices, then you can't burn corn there. In Vermont, they already have this problem and dealers aren't allowed to sell multi-fuel units, but under new NSPS this will be a national issue.

dang, that sux, when we got the 10-CPM certified it was only required for pellet. if what you posted above is factual (and you have your ear to the ground on this more than I do) then multi's may be in trouble

cant speak to coal but with corn units AFAIK there is not actual testing standard approved for certifying the stove with that fuel. as John said above the method 28 could be used but isn't currently approved for that use.

Status
Not open for further replies.