Anyone know of a good dealer for a insert in west central Illinois

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffoc

Oct 3, 2008
Blandinsville, IL
I live in farm country out here and nobody around heats with wood. I went to the one place listed close to me and the last stove they installed was 6 years ago. They are coming out Tuesday They carry regency but would like some other options. Is there anyone in my area that can recomend a good place? I am willing to drive some for the purchase but I need someone to look at my strange fireplace first.

I work in Peoria and live in Macomb. I had planned to install an insert and liner myself but ran into problems with the size of the existing fireplace. Where did you get your stove at? A store or private party?

I purchased the wood stove from Menards in peoria. Cost me around $700.

Country Hearth and Home sells units, installs, sweeps chimneys, etc. But living in Macomb, they might not go that far. Plus, they are pricey. For the $1200 in chimney I needed, they quoted $1500-$2000 for the parts and $1500 for the install. site unseen, just based on drawings.

With those miles each day, you should look into biodiesel and a VW for the drive. PM me if you want to talk about that though.

I may have to stop by there one day and look at what they have. I think I saw them online when I was looking at Pacific Energy inserts.
I did think about using wvo for my commute but the collection of it would have taken more time than I have. After looking at canidates for the conversion I bought an old mercedes. Gas though.

Might want to stop by soon if you can. Going into season, I bet you are looking at a late november install date if any. Personally, I would find what you like/need and buy it online to ship to you if you plan to install yourself.

gas MB, yuck. My diesel VW gets +50mpg with homebrew BD at $.90 a gallon. I have saved a bundle on my 130 mile round trip (live in Elmwood, work in Toluca) over the past 3 years! a GOOD source of oil is key. I only need to go one place once per week ;)

I had it all planned out but when I got the acutual measurements of the spot the sizing was wrong. I can install it myself I just need someone to look at my fireplace mainly. If I have to I will let them install it.
If I could get someone out here I would just as soon buy online, I don't do well with salesmen.
I drive 220 miles a day and that MB really feels good after a long day. Eats alot of gas though true.

I tried that but so far no replies. I removed an old, maybe original insert, the house was built in 1914 expecting to find a normal fireplace. But it is formed to fit the burner that was removed. So it give me a very small box to install a new insert. I just need to know if it was filled in or special built. My wife won't let me just go at it with a hammer, that was my first impulse.
Sometimes it is bad to live in the middle of nowhere. Hard to find the right people.

try to maybe find someone from Quincy. I cant add much other than that, but I did spend a few years in macomb polishing up my drinking skills :)

Thanks, I did find a place in Quincy. They are going to come out next week hopefully. The guy is supposed to let me know Monday when he can come. It's 65 miles one way. I hope he tells me something good when he gets here.

jeffoc said:
. It's 65 miles one way.

I'm fully aware, I drive from mchenry IL through macomb to quincy and back on average of once every 6 weeks (wife's fromm Qtown)

You may want to contact The Stove Shop in Pekin. From what I understand they are the most knowledgable around. I bought my insert from Hearth & Patio in Peoria, just a couple of miles from Country Hearth & Home. The help in Hearth and Patio was polite but not exactly knowledgable. They sell (or did a few years ago) Jotul. The C350 winterport is a small unit, maybe something to look at. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.