Anyone know what an old tractor is worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
My wife has an option to buy her grandparent's tractor from her aunt's estate, pre-auction. We need to make a reasonable offer on it, but I can't seem to find any "blue book" value web sites for agricultural equipment (without paying $100). I thought I'd take a shot here on the Hearth...

It's a 1961 Massey Ferguson 50. Currently not running, gasoline engine. I haven't seen it, but according to eye witnesses, it has four flat and dry-rotted tires. It is supposedly "rusty", but my Ford 3600 has rust, but nothing major, so I will assume it is like that. I was also told that there are empty holes in the "dash", assuming a guage is missing (or it never had an optional gauge). Any guesses?

I am thinking we should offer $500. Too high? Too low? It could get rejected if too low, but I don't want to pay more than it's worth...

Not running 500 more than fair! maybe a easy fix??maybe not?? tires dont come cheap for tractors!

When it doubt, check eBay.. even the professional antique dealers do that from time to time.

There are antique engine and tractor enthusiast clubs all over the US. Our local one is the
Hudson-Mohawk chapter of the Pioneering Gasoline Engine Society. These guys (and gals) are
really cray about this stuff, especially tractors. If you have any interest in restoring it, there is
a wealth of information out there.

I did look on ebay, and no hits other than manuals and parts. I did find a couple on-line in running condition $4500-$6500 (Amazing to me, seeing that my 82 Ford 3600 is a diesel, more horses, and retails about $1000 less).

Well, maybe I should just go forward with the $500 offer. This will be a worthwhile restoration project since my wife's grandparents bought it new.

Mike from Athens said:
Well, maybe I should just go forward with the $500 offer. This will be a worthwhile restoration project since my wife's grandparents bought it new.

In that case, you have to restore it! It sounds like a great project. If $500 sounds reasonable to all parties involved, then go for it.

There are lots of tractor enthusiasts out there.. if you need help, it shouldn't be too hard to find some.

I wouldn't go over 500 thats for sure. Find out if the motor turns over. If not go for 350.

Another of my favorite sites is called Tractorbynet, you'll get plenty of opinions on value from that site. Very similar to this site, just about tractors.

Tractorbynet

The story goes something like this: The tractor was running when it was parked 5 or so years ago (according to my wife's uncle who grew up with the tractor). That's about all I know. I'm *pretty* sure that it will (hopefully) only need minor repair (like wiring, purge gas tank, clean carbs, fuel line, battery, etc, etc).

Well, I just looked it up for you but it will not be of much help. They only had listings of one's that were running etc. They raned from $3200 to $6000. I'll be honest though, these are asking prices and for working machines. $500 is about right in your situation though. Try filling the tires with an air-pig to see if they'll hold air. I'll bet they aren't bad just old and deflated due to years of freeze/thaw process. Low pressure tires seem to be affected by weather more than radials.

What I've seen a running Massey 50 will go from $2500 to $4500 depending on its condition. Check the freeze plugs also, in addition to the sites listed try this also

http://www.antiquetractors.com/

If the engine still turns over, and it's in reasonble condition other than the rotted tires, it would bring around $1000 at auction (I got to many). If it were me, I'd pay no more than $500 unless you know, for sure, the engine still turns over and is still OK.

Just about any USA, Canadian, or British made tractor - from the 50s- 60s - is going to have a selling price based on it's attributes. Being an MF in itself doesn't mean much.

1st issue is - does it have a three point hitch, live PTO, power steering, wide front end, and a hi-low range transmission? Having all makes it worth the most. Without live PTO, using a bush-hog (rear cutter) can be miserable. Not having a hi-low range will make most tractors useless for using a rear mounted tiller or snowblower - since they are way too fast in 1st geat.

#2 issue is parts availability. Most MF tractors have Continental or Perkins engines - both pretty good for parts. Same with the tractor itself. Ford, IH, Case, and Deere are a bit better with dealer support or aftermarket support.

As I recall, a MF 50 gas uses a 38 horse Continental engine, has a hi-low range trans, and came with live PTO. Also came with power steering as an option. In good running condition, it could sell for $3000 or more. I've got one similar, but mine has the Perkins diesel instead of the Continental gas. MF 50 was also sole as a Massey Harris 50 and a Ferguson 50.

Another issue to consider is - if you can work on it yourself. A repair that might cost $100 doing yourself can wind up costing $1000 paying someone else.

Thanks for all of the replies!! I do all work myself, including the Ford 3600 diesel. I will take my portable compressor to check tires...I was thinking the same thing (that they might hold air). This has been stored in a barn since it was last running, so I can't imagine that the engine won't turn. The "value" of this tractor is that it was my wife's grandparent's on their farm in Columbiana county in Ohio. They bought it new. I couldn't imagine putting the time into painting my Ford tractor, but I could for this one. $500 it is!!

I had given up on this as it was turning into a big family fiasco. I told them to forget it...then, the call comes last wednesday that my wife's dad and a friend of his are going to move the tractor to our house on saturday. I head up with my compressor; the tires hold air, the engine turns. Needs some gauges replaced, some general TLC. I haven't tried to start it yet, but it looks promising.

$300, plus a tank of fuel for the haul.

I also saw a very nice (supposedly 3 year old) 5' or 6' brushhog, and I asked about it. The attorney was contated to find out a price. He said "just get it out of there, and it's yours".

This turned out to be a pretty good day!

Glad things turned out well for you. Thanks for posting the update.

check out yesterdaystractors.com lots of good people with experience with old tractors. they may even be able to help you with your modern massey. good luck and have fun!

Thats a great score man!!!! Congrats.

Mike from Athens said:
I had given up on this as it was turning into a big family fiasco. I told them to forget it...then, the call comes last wednesday that my wife's dad and a friend of his are going to move the tractor to our house on saturday. I head up with my compressor; the tires hold air, the engine turns. Needs some gauges replaced, some general TLC. I haven't tried to start it yet, but it looks promising.

$300, plus a tank of fuel for the haul.

I also saw a very nice (supposedly 3 year old) 5' or 6' brushhog, and I asked about it. The attorney was contated to find out a price. He said "just get it out of there, and it's yours".

This turned out to be a pretty good day!

The MF 50 is a nice tractor to run a brush hog since it has live-power. That makes a big difference. Other tractors without it can send you into a tree - when the blade-momentum of the brush hog feeds backwards into the tractor's transmission and you can't stop it.

A 6 footer is about the biggest you want to run on it. Used ones in my area tend to sell for $250-$500, and new cost around $700-$900 with shear-bolt drive, and a few hundred more with slip-clutch drive.

You're also going to find out that having the hi-low range transmission makes it a much more useful tractor than many others built around that time. Many Ford tractors did not have a live PTO or dual ranges - unless they were special ordered that way. With the live PTO and dual-range trans., you can use a rear-mounted rototiller, snow blower, etc. - which will not work on tractors without those features.

This is definitely going to be a "hobby" tractor. I do all my work with my ford 3600. It has everything I need - live PTO, low range gears, etc, etc. I run a 6' tiller with it and my current woods 5' brush hog; plow and disk. The brush hog i'm getting is just a lot nicer.

Hmmmmmm...sounds like time for a picture.

First thing I do is pull the dipstick and check for water in the oil. Sometimes that's nothing and other times, big problems.

And here she is...

Attachments

• tractor small.JPG
    tractor small.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 219
Status
Not open for further replies.