Anyone like my slate behind my gibraltor/keystoker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a product has too much of a wet look you can always tone it down with steel wool. It puts a scratch pattern on the finish that causes it to refract light differently and become more matte.

ALWAYS do a sample piece first so you are not experimenting on your project.

Nice.
Local slate near here comes in one color: charcoal.

That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shenk111,
The slate looks awsome, and was my choice for my hearth as well
Got my materials from hd. I'm one of those guys that usually doesnt ask
for directions....... . Happened to run into a salesman in the tile isle while buying.
He was a talkative fella and a tile guy as well.What he told me was to seal the slate /stone
prior to grouting to avoid the haze you speak of.Then seal the grout after install.
Products he suggested were "Tile Lab Gloss Sealer & Finish" which is the pregrout
sealer (yellow container) @ about $10. After grouting use "Tile Lab SurfaceGuard
Penetrating Sealer" (green container) @ about $17 to seal the grout.
He did not have an answer when asked how to remove the haze if you should
be in that position? I dont think I would cover it up though. If it is noticable enough to
bother you I think I would do a little testing. Maybe try a couple extra scrap tiles.
Set them up intentionally with the haze. Seal over one and check the results.....
The other you might try cleaning it with a muratic acid solution. Its strong so use caution.
good luck and post the results if you pursue a touch up
rustynut
sealers did make it pop a bit but looks good

shenk111,
I think they call that a wall thimble ?
little story
had a friend that ran his pipe into the chimney in a similay way
he actually entered in a bit higher though
the mortered joint where the pipe entered the chimney failed on him
he was closer to the ceiling where he entered the chimney
what the fire dept told him was that a tiny hole in the morter opened up
this hole acted like a propane torch and lit the ceiling
lost the cabin but they got out ok
not to scare you
just keep an eye on that joint and maybe look into that wall thimble?
2nd stove here
1st year burning in this house
sure is nice to be disconected from those propane thieves
enjoy your stove
rn

shenk111,
I'm thinking that should be fully mortered in ?
but i'm not an expert on this for sure
That might be a good one to put out there as a specific post ?
just to see how the rest of the burning world feels on this ?
Just for safety's sake
rustynut

yeah this thing defianatley was a good buy at 800 bucks and now it costs 250 a season to heat at 68-70 degrees in a three story row home in lebanon at around 1400 square feet

i have slate under my stove, looks nice there too!!! lowes or menards sells a product that is called a stone enhancer, it really brings out the colors in slate. it was a night and day difference for mine. cheap

spray on and wipe off as needed. there are several hiden colors in slate, all this does it bring them out. no shine

Looks great. I've been thinking about some sort of stone surround for my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.