Anyone make biodiesel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone here makes biodiesel. I've been reading a bit about it and it looks interesting. Fuel prices up here are over $5.00/G, and rising. It makes things like biodiesel look ever more reasonable, and not so much "out there" anymore. "Fuelmeister" makes what looks like a decent home kit. Thanks.

The biggest problem is good, constant, dependable, source of waste oil.

You may end of wasting huge amounts of time and effort to maybe score enough to fuel your own vehicle. Then you need to spend more time and money to convert it.

I looked into it. I drive a VW diesel. The numbers showed it just didnt add up for me. the cost savings, when compared to diesel fuel, would have a payback period of 100,000 miles... but thats just my experience. If it was more of a hobby or you were making a statement, thats a separate issue.

If you drive an old non-turbo diesel (like the old BMW's) those can digest much more basic fuels. Pretty sure they can run off of heated waste vege oil (filtered, not converted to BD). That would be the way to go.

goodluck, would be very interested if you did it. Might be more economical if you have a oil heater at home too, as thats an additional 700+gallons/year.

Rick

Rick-

What would I need to convert WVO to HHO?
What I have in mind is, an old(er) boiler (HHO) that can run somewhat dependably on waste vegetable oil. The boiler is no problem, the WVO is about 10 to 30 gal a week, depending on season. I do have a working understanding of how a conventional HHO boiler works/runs, and don't have a problem changing filter; strainers; nozzles; adjusting electrodes and all the other dino burner stuff. I just don't have the basic concept of converting one to the other.

Is there a site that you can point me to, to "clear" my mind on this?

Thanks,
P.J.

I checked it out for 2 years and gave up. Whenever I got close to a dependable supply it would evaporate. $1/gallon soon turned into $2/gal then $2.50. None, I repeat none of the local restaurants would even talk to me. People are sick of greasers showing up whenever and however, haphazzard setups with no way to pump grease in the Winter. People leaving a mess, asking you to load 350 degree grease into 2 gallon salad containters .

I looked at setups and talked with a dozen greasers. Everyone agreed that you start losing money when you go from WVO to real biodiesel. Find a way to run straight WVO and forgo the biodiesel and it starts to make $s and sense.

Sorry, no real info on heating conversions. I know you can get used oil burner parts pretty cheap from ebay and craigslist. I think it is a case of changing nozzles to a larger size, putting in a more free flowing filter, and making sure to keep the oil warmer (inside?). You probably could just mix 50/50 heating oil and WVO and everything would be fine.

I think you also have to be more careful about the long term storage of WVO as it is more suseptible to biological contamination.

Wood is definitely a better option than burning WVO to heat your home, unless you own a resturant.

I just burn wvo because the cost savings, versus the costs of damaged equipment and risk, it wasnt worth it for me. But with more time, might be a good thing to try.

Thanks Rick -

It was/going/may be heat the shop, along with the '30. It would be more "tinkering" than actual primary heat.
As for bio. contamination, well that just kill my idea of making/cleaning enough through out the off season and stockpiling it to be used in the heating season.

Thanks again,
P.J.

I have a friend who does it, but his case is kind of exceptional. First off, he's a veterinarian, so he has a lot of contacts, including people who own both restaurants and animals, so he has a dependable supply of used cooking oil.

Second, he lives in central Florida, where it's rarely below 50F.

Under those conditions, pre-1986 Mercedes diesel engines will run on filtered cooking oil. But on those rare days when the mornings are below 50 it won't start. And the car smells like fish when it's running.

Hemlock, biodiesel doesn't do well in cold climates. Yes Minnesota and other states are doing a 5% blend, but they've had their problems. In vehicles, carry a couple of sets of fuel filters with you. Especially at first, it will "wash" your lines out and plug filters. Add the severe cold we get.............

I made lots of Biodiesel. It got too messy and free good oil got scarce, so I got out of it. Google appleseed bio diesel processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.