Anyone modify the spee co splitter with the stationary pad and movable wedge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I saw the timber wolf with the funky splitting sandwich. Anyone mod thier spee co to do similiar? Not sure if it has enough splitting force to make something up. OR, if the ram would take the stress of the 4 or 3 way wedge? Anyone play with one yet?

A lot of view and no response. Is this that unique? There has got to be a lot of these out there.

I have not tried that mod. but some of the problems that you would probably encounter are .

Beam would have to be lenghtened for wedge.
Beam would also have to be stiffened.
Tonnage would be questionable.

If I were to try it. I would remove the original beam,wedge and foot plate. Install a new beam ,push plate and wedge using the cylinder and control valve from original splitter. With a whole new beam you will not have to worry about destroying a working splitter.

Wow, basically sell it and get a new one! :lol:

I am trying to figure out why ?

From what I read, there are a lot of speeco splitters that had their base plates ripped off so adding any resistance on the wedge is asking for trouble. So ja, basically sell it and by something more to your liking like a TW.

Of course I can not be without a splitter so I will need to find or make the new one first... Anyone selling a used TW cheap :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.