Anyone notice the price of corn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Is approaching (or passing) NG per BTU? a bushel (56#, $4.03 yesterday) makes about 400K BTU, so you're looking at a dollar per therm for corn? That's what I'm paying for gas, and the exchange price for the gas has been pretty comfortably in the $0.70 range so far. That's if you can pick it up 'wholesale' from an elevator or farm for CME, not the markup you'll pay for cleaned screened at the retail store.

Must be all those ethanol people.

Steve

Or the oil and gas companies ;)
As we all know they sure as hell dont want anything competing with their profit margin in keeping you warm.

We have a ton of corn stove dealers around our area , and for the last few years its been
"the thing" for home heating , price of corn went up and oil went down , not good times for corn stove dealers , i was talking to one corn stove dealer a month or so back and he said sales fell flat on there face . Said it was the farmers that grew corn were about the only buyers this season.

Looks like it will not be long before the Oil Companies will be buying up the corn concers to protect their interest like they did with the street car lines after WW2. Call me a kook if you want

Corn is going up due to ethanol conversion. The effect on the grocery bill and biodiesel may be significant.

mtarbert said:
Corn is going up due to ethanol conversion. The effect on the grocery bill and biodiesel may be significant.

My point Exactly....Who do you think ownes the Ethanol plants.....

Which major oil companys own Ethanol plants?

If it wasn't for this major brain f@%$ I'd be able to tell you where I read that Con-Agra is heavily invested in the production end of ethanol. They are becoming a wrap around like Simplot is out West. Then who owns majority holding in C-A?????

Sorry, maybe having a brain cramp, or a senior moment, or......

BrotherBart said:
mtarbert said:

My point Exactly....Who do you think ownes the Ethanol plants.....

Which major oil companys own Ethanol plants?

This is a rapidly changing field. Lots of new players entering it, but so far I haven't seen a lot of oil companies. Currently ADM leads the pack.

It's interesting that currently, nearly half of the ethanol refineries in the country are owned by farmer's cooperatives. I expect that will change if E85 usage spreads beyond the midwest.

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/industry/locations/

The farmers may own the Coo-op s but, who ownes the distrubition ? After the taxpayers get done (if ever) subdising the ethanol industries Wanna Bet who takes over ? And after ADM controls supply and/or production who else thinks one of the seven sisters comes to them and says "Join the Club"?

Well there's certainly the possibility, after all the oil co's are in the fuel business, so it would make sense for them to diversify. But so far they seem to be out of the direct distribution chain.

http://www.ethanol.org/distributors.html

Status
Not open for further replies.