Anyone on Long Island burning pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, any feed corn grown out that way anymore (dairy farms, etc.)? That would be one lead.

Does your dealer sell pellet stoves (the jotul one) - Jotul, of course, does not sell pellet stoves but the dealer very well might. I would bet that you could find some nearby. If it was summer, you could load them on the boat from the other shore (I know they have lots there).....I guess you don't have Tractor Supply out that way? Check with agway or that type of farm and garden supply.

Does "too windy" mean your chimney downdrafts, or does it draw too strong?

I live in the Throggs Neck section off the Bronx, I got my stove in Upper westchester he was selling pellets at the time for 230 a ton, If you know any where cheaper please let know.
I have trucks out on the island all the time.

I found this guy, who seems to be all about pellet sales. I'll call him and get some more details. As for dealers, my Jotul dealer has Quadrafire, and the local coal guy sells Harman. Design wise, I liked some of the Enviros... I'd love to stick the Mini in the kitchen. Don't forget, the idea was originally to install a direct vent coal stoker in the basement and duct the heat upstairs. I still like that idea, but coal is now 290/ton around here, plus delivery. I know there is more heat in coal than pellets, but if pellet prices stay around 250/275 per ton, then the convenience issue starts taking over. Plus, the town we live in has no garbage pickup. Coal ash has to be disposed of, and I don't want to cart it to the town dumps. I heard that 1 ton of coal creates ~1/2 ton of ash... and if I burn 3 tons, I am not interested in carting 1.5 tons of ash to the dumps. Nor will I bury it out back, or throw it off the bluff onto the beach.

If anyone on LI is burning pellets, speak up now!

-- Mike

Hmmm... well, 600 lbs of ash is a whole other story. Maybe... maybe...

As this is not going to replace my Jotul for the main "alternative" heat source, I like the idea of something small. When I run the numbers on your fuel calculator, hard wood comes out to be half the price of oil. Coal is second, but really, considering the issues associated with it, the advantage is minimized. Pellets are slightly more expensive than oil, but perhaps some of that difference can be alleviated by the fact that the pellet stove is a space heater, vs. oil in the basement.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.