Anyone out there ever weighed their day's consumption of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrat

Nov 23, 2007
NE MA
- Just to try to project your need for the season? (daily amount X number of days you heat)= (total # of lbs) divided by weight per cord of the type of wood you usually burn.

Woodrat said:
- Just to try to project your need for the season? (daily amount X number of days you heat)= (total # of lbs) divided by weight per cord of the type of wood you usually burn.

I prefer to think in terms of volume. I wouldn't want to show my back the lbs!

pen

I burned through about a wheelbarrow full of wood per a day and a half last week when it was 20* out
and the wind was cranking. Weight?? Mass?? (short splits about 12-14"). Probably about half of which
was oak.
I started out the season with about 3 cords and have been burning cold nights and weekends...I'm
sure my woodpiles will be scary by the end of Jan.

During the week i would start my stove around 4pm and put my last load in shortly before bed around 11 pm using near 10 good size splits.I don't really know if this too much! but i am still new with these EPA stoves.I still haven't fully loaded my stove,but that day will come after i get to know my stove better.

It is difficult simply because of the variance of weather.

Instead of trying to figure if you have enough wood for this winter, you should be figuring if you have enough wood for next winter! If you are going to be a wood burner, you need to be ahead of the game. In other words, have more than you need on hand.

So, at the end of this year, figure how much wood you burned through the heating season. That is the amount of wood you should have on hand then. Always be at least a year ahead on fuel.

Backwoods Savage said:
Instead of trying to figure if you have enough wood for this winter, you should be figuring if you have enough wood for next winter!
That's what I was thinking too.

When my suppliers don't let me down, I am 2 or more years ahead right now but planning to order up another 12 cord before the end of this winter.

I'm simply keeping a log of the number of splits I put on. Although I realize they are of different sizes, on average it will even out I imagine. I did some estimations earlier and figured that with my split oak I'll have about 600 splits to the cord.. I wonder how that calculation measures up to other folks.

If I manage to do this the whole winter it may be very interesting to see how it ends up.

Weight doesn't really work very good . I like volume measuring I have two wood racks on on each side of the stove each one holds 2' x2' by 24" long splits I burn 4 to 8 cub foot of wood a day . If its in the single digits i still burn 8 cf a day i just start closing off rooms. It takes me around 3.5 cord per year if it not to cold . I have a Equinox and its like filling a cave with wood I just thru 8 splits in the stove and its still empty .

You know how much you need just by what you burned the prior years - though you can back calculate/guestimate how much you burn per day.

Woodrat said:

Nope.

Is anyone as uncurious about this as I am?

Bigg_Redd said:
Nope.

Is anyone as uncurious about this as I am?
Seems like a lot of work with questionable results.

The rows in my woodshed are each one cord and watching how quickly I go through the rows is as granular as I want. It helps me project whether I have enough for next year at the given rate to decide when to order up the next batch to process.

Just say no to all these OCD things....is anybody just heating with wood ? Hello, anyone home ?

Gee, by the time you get finished diddling with your IR ( whatever that is for ), poking around the piles with that M² ( moisture meter ), playing with that 36" 80cc turbinator Machiavelli Chainsaw , pushing lumps of 6" softwood through that 38 ton Terminator Splitter, I'm tired just reading about it.

Whatever happened to just sitting back with your fav brew, holding hands with your love, and gazing into that lovely fire ?

Oh Mr. Moderator. Calling Mr. Moderator.

downeast said:
LOL
This site runs on ad revenue from all the things you're dis'n.

And I happen to like my chainsaw and log splitter. As for a IR thermometer, the doctor sticks one in my ear. Sure beats the rectal model.

LLigetfa said:
downeast said:
LOL
This site runs on ad revenue from all the things you're dis'n.

And I happen to like my chainsaw and log splitter. As for a IR thermometer, the doctor sticks one in my ear. Sure beats the rectal model.

You know how you tell the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer, right?

The taste. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.